What's caused this?

Rich

On the very edge you can see the strange mark. I have this on both tyres on the inner and outer sides.

I'm taking a guess this caused by the camber being slightly different now the car has been lowered?

tyre.jpg

Hard to say mate.... The wear looks lateral, so toe or pneumatic slip may be a criminal, but this wouldn't include the inner edge? I would be inclined to increase the tyre pressure and monitor the wear again.

Yeah definitely inner and outer edge, will double check though!

Will check the rear as well to see if it has the same marks.

Tyre pressure is at 30psi all round, so I'll go to 32 tomorrow and see how that is...

Yeah definitely inner and outer edge, will double check though!

Will check the rear as well to see if it has the same marks.

Tyre pressure is at 30psi all round, so I'll go to 32 tomorrow and see how that is...

Remember tyre pressure is "within reason" only a suggestion. Your loading and unique area of driving determines the "actual" pressure..... Small additions or subtractions of a pound or two will conclude the perfect pressure for you.

Well on previous wheels I've had anything over 33psi would cause more oversteer.

I'll try 32psi and go from there.

I was just a tad worried they may wear prematurely on the edges...

perhap's i should change my pressure's too then :thumbsup_anim:

but ive had them on 32 before with the last tyre's but it felt all light and undirect.

put it back on 30 psi and all was well again!

Well on previous wheels I've had anything over 33psi would cause more oversteer.

I'll try 32psi and go from there.

I was just a tad worried they may wear prematurely on the edges...

The "feathered" edge suggests either toe in or pneumatic lateral slip. But this doesn't explain why the wear is also on the inside? An initial change is pressure is wise... Give this a few miles and we can re-asses our options after that.

The tyre in the picture is the side that you couldn't fit the TRE to, which I have now done after changing it.

I'll check the other side tomorrow when I change the pressures and get a few more pics...

The tyre in the picture is the side that you couldn't fit the TRE to, which I have now done after changing it.

I'll check the other side tomorrow when I change the pressures and get a few more pics...

Give us the complete picture..... Inside and outside please.

Only 30mm...could be rubbing, but then others have fitted 19s with 235/35 profile tyres to mondeos with no rubbing problems.

Ok just had another look at the tyres and the rears have the same marks as well!

Also I checked the pressures at 5am when it was chilly and they all read 28psi! Can the weather affect the pressures even when the car isn't moving as I'm positive me pressure guage is ok? I usually check them in the middle of the day when it's warmer.

The wear is definitely lateral so a change in the toe of .5 to 1.0 per side would be wise in view of the modifications.

How can that be then as when you measured/adjusted the toe it was all within the limits?

I know I've recently changed that TRE but I had this wear before that anyway.

The wear is definitely lateral so a change in the toe of .5 to 1.0 per side would be wise in view of the modifications.

How can that be then as when you measured/adjusted the toe it was all within the limits?

I know I've recently changed that TRE but I had this wear before that anyway.

All manufacturers settings are nothing more than suggestions. We are all unique so no one set of figures covers all.

Add any modifications then the positions become theoretical anyway... Hence why most places won't set the car if it's been modified.

A good technician will know how to set the car subject to the fine-tune confirming the calibration suits the mod's and indeed the owner.

Sadly wim is the only company prepared to fine-tune the car for free... In truth i find it a valuable tool and the customer knows our intentions ensure the end calibration is perfectly matched to their car.

So from the photos I've taken do you think the tyres will wear on the edges alot quicker than the rest of it?

Would fitting the camber kit help or is it only the toe that can cause this kind of wear?

So from the photos I've taken do you think the tyres will wear on the edges alot quicker than the rest of it?

Would fitting the camber kit help or is it only the toe that can cause this kind of wear?

Looking at the patten of wear i would reframe from the camber kit for now.

The wear is lateral scrub (toe) we need to manipulate new positions in very small increments to belay the wear..... When are you available?

I've got next week off work so anytime really. Was hoping to book the car into Kip's for the MOT next week as well if I get the repairs done this weekend.

When you last set the car it was on the 16" wheels, could changing to the 17's have upset it a little? When you do a geometry you always input the wheel size into the computer so this must play some part in the calibration?

I've got next week off work so anytime really. Was hoping to book the car into Kip's for the MOT next week as well if I get the repairs done this weekend.

When you last set the car it was on the 16" wheels, could changing to the 17's have upset it a little? When you do a geometry you always input the wheel size into the computer so this must play some part in the calibration?

The wheel diameter forms part of the initial set-up parameters... Mainly the fact that the cameras need to know where they are in space..

Additional modifications like bigger/wider wheels requires a more knowledgeable human input.

• 1 month later...
Also I checked the pressures at 5am when it was chilly and they all read 28psi! Can the weather affect the pressures even when the car isn't moving as I'm positive me pressure guage is ok? I usually check them in the middle of the day when it's warmer.

yes very easily, as an example the car was parked with the sun on one side ( it was very hot) i checked the pressures on the sunny side and it was 38psi - the shaded side was 33psi.

remember that colder air is denser so occupies a smaller volume.

yes very easily, as an example the car was parked with the sun on one side ( it was very hot) i checked the pressures on the sunny side and it was 38psi - the shaded side was 33psi.

remember that colder air is denser so occupies a smaller volume.

We all need dry Nitrogen inflation :rolleyes: