This is how "some" airlines handle your baggage......

Tony

I'd say that was typical of most airlines. I experienced a broken wheel on my Samsonite carry-on once, what makes it difficult to understand is that it was actually inside my much larger Samsonite Shell Case that was carried in the baggage hold. Fortunately Samonsite have a lifetime warranty so repair didn't cost, just the hassle of getting it done.

I'd say that was typical of most airlines. I experienced a broken wheel on my Samsonite carry-on once, what makes it difficult to understand is that it was actually inside my much larger Samsonite Shell Case that was carried in the baggage hold. Fortunately Samonsite have a lifetime warranty so repair didn't cost, just the hassle of getting it done.

Did the airline not replace it? BA have replaced a number of our Samsonite cases over the years........ :)

Did the airline not replace it? BA have replaced a number of our Samsonite cases over the years........ :)

The small wheeled shell case was loaded with the usual business stuff so was quite heavy, but I had a lot of room in my big shell suitcase so put it in there to save carrying it separately. Think I would have had a hard job proving the wheel was damaged whilst inside the case, especially as I didn't find out until I got got to my hotel in Oz. However, BA did give me a overly large cheque for a damaged golf bag once. :whistle:   

Many years ago I travelled from Miami to Rio on Pan-Am. At baggage collection I discovered that the magnesium frame of my shell case had been smashed. The Pan-Am rep took me into a hangar with floor to ceiling racks full of suitcases of all sorts and shapes and sizes. We hunted around until we found one identical to mine. We transferred all my stuff to the new case and off I went.

I've often wondered if Pan-Am had such a facility at every airport that they used and if so, what investment they had in suitcases. 

Many years ago I travelled from Miami to Rio on Pan-Am. At baggage collection I discovered that the magnesium frame of my shell case had been smashed. The Pan-Am rep took me into a hangar with floor to ceiling racks full of suitcases of all sorts and shapes and sizes. We hunted around until we found one identical to mine. We transferred all my stuff to the new case and off I went.

I've often wondered if Pan-Am had such a facility at every airport that they used and if so, what investment they had in suitcases. 

Wow!  :o

I'm guessing that was a long long time ago! The cost of something like that would be astronomical!

Wow!  :o

I'm guessing that was a long long time ago! The cost of something like that would be astronomical!

It was in the mid 80s about 30 years ago. I did a fair amount of long distance flying in those days and very much liked the standard of service on Pan-Am. The company was a pioneer of many long haul routes and was seen as a world leader, but it suddenly went bust in 1991 leaving passengers stranded all over the place.

To be honest, that's what I would expect, am I the only one?! :lol:

The amount of bags they handle, you can't expect them to be put on the belt gently!

To a certain extent yes - I wouldn't expect them to throw them quite so harshly but yeah I do expect them to sort of fling bags from the container on to the belt, otherwise we'd be waiting all day for the bags to arrive!

It was in the mid 80s about 30 years ago. I did a fair amount of long distance flying in those days and very much liked the standard of service on Pan-Am. The company was a pioneer of many long haul routes and was seen as a world leader, but it suddenly went bust in 1991 leaving passengers stranded all over the place.

I've always heard good things about Pan Am and it was a shame that an airline that was once at the top could disappear so suddenly, but I think that was quite a long time coming.

I don't know too much about the story but I think they were hit fairly hard with the economic slowdown in the 70s and then tried to acquire their way out of it which was always going to be a risky strategy.