Air display smoke......

Tony

The smoke is produced by an independent installation which uses special mineral oil which although paraffin-based is biodegradable. It's pumped directly into/onto hot exhaust nozzles (piston engines) or exhaust fumes (jet engines) where it is instantly vaporised, not burnt.

The 'smoke oil' nowadays has to be acceptable in terms of health, non toxic and certified as such for use. Various mixtures have been used in early development, including some with up to 25% diesel, but most fuels, alcohols, and other flammable substances present really serious hazards to pilots and aircraft (not forgetting spectators!), so is not used.  

Really interesting stuff..... Question though since the mix is a vapour wouldn't it be highly flammable. I know it's in the exhaust but flames wouldn't be desirable would it?

Not all vapours are flammable. That stuff coming out of your kettle, which people call steam, is actually water vapour. From memory, I think for a vapour to burn it has to contain material that is flammable and its temperature must be above its flash point. I also seem to remember that there is a relationship between volatility and flash point. So the more volatile, the easier it lights.