Golf right pull

SteveKai

Hi all,

Thought I would get some much needed help of you guys.

Our Golf mk6 has quite a serious pull to the right when you let go off the steering wheel. I can't remember how long its been like this.

The pressures are spot on, I've had the tracking done a few times and recently had a "Hunter" alignment done to it also. If I keep the steering wheel held, it drives straight but as soon as you let go if veers to the right (quite scary actually). I've also had the tyres swapped left to right on both axles and front to back with no difference whatsoever. 

Here are my readings, hope they help

http://tinypic.com/r/2e0uzyu/8

2e0uzyu.jpg

When the alignment was done they checked all four wheels for any movement and they put some weight in driver side back seat. I think that was to compensate for the fuel  :unsure:?

Any ideas on what to pursue next, the car really shouldn't be on the road like this.

Welcome to WIM :)

Firstly, they haven't measured the caster angles, I'd imagine it's not adjustable on the Golf but you're not getting the full image of the chassis without it.

Secondly, that NSF camber doesn't look right, did they investigate why it's nearly a degree more than the other side? How I visualise it is the OSF wheel is pointing/standing straight but the NSF is leaning in too much, which is pushing the car to the right. If I'm wrong Tony will correct me.

As you've already swapped the tyres over for testing I think it might be this camber angle that's the problem. Have you ever hit anything on that side?

Welcome to wim and the ignorance of the motor trade for not covering the bloody obvious.....

As Rich said adjustable or not the castor position is critical regarding any chassis image, it needs to be included if only to be excluded!

The camber alone on the NSF is an issue and can be adjusted by moving the subframe but it's an optimized adjustment meaning any movement on the NSF will have the opposite affect on the OSF which in your case would only transport the problem. So with the information given i can only assume there's a bend on the NSF chassis and maybe the subframe is off-set but without the castor position it's hard to conclude.

Without blinding you with science a measurement of the front KP I-AKA -SAI would tell us where the bend is but that measurement is only gathered when the castor is measured. 

Welcome to WIM :)

Firstly, they haven't measured the caster angles, I'd imagine it's not adjustable on the Golf but you're not getting the full image of the chassis without it.

Secondly, that NSF camber doesn't look right, did they investigate why it's nearly a degree more than the other side? How I visualise it is the OSF wheel is pointing/standing straight but the NSF is leaning in too much, which is pushing the car to the right. If I'm wrong Tony will correct me.

As you've already swapped the tyres over for testing I think it might be this camber angle that's the problem. Have you ever hit anything on that side?

Welcome to wim and the ignorance of the motor trade for not covering the bloody obvious.....

As Rich said adjustable or not the castor position is critical regarding any chassis image, it needs to be included if only to be excluded!

The camber alone on the NSF is an issue and can be adjusted by moving the subframe but it's an optimized adjustment meaning any movement on the NSF will have the opposite affect on the OSF which in your case would only transport the problem. So with the information given i can only assume there's a bend on the NSF chassis and maybe the subframe is off-set but without the castor position it's hard to conclude.

Without blinding you with science a measurement of the front KP I-AKA -SAI would tell us where the bend is but that measurement is only gathered when the castor is measured. 

Thank you for the welcome.

Ok

I went back, asked for my caster angles and I got given this from their system. I'm not sure why they weren't on the the printout I got.

e5mj2u.jpg

Hopefully this information is useful?

I'm still not sure that is right, if they've just given you a different version of the printout and not measured the car again. If it's in grey that means it hasn't been measured and it's not under the before figures but the actual one instead. Although I'm not sure what the actual figure means, it could just be the software guessing what the ideal angle should be if it's measured.

Tony is on his honeymoon for 2 weeks now but Joe might see this and be able to offer advise.

• 2 weeks later...

That data has been spoofed!..... With the castor measurement it also acquires the SAI and included angle, meaning the final castor positions have been added manually.... Put it this way how come there's no before readings? All they have done is add in ( change/ add specifications ) the final targets.

The included angle is mainly used for diagnostics. If say the camber is to negative then if the SAI ( steering axis inclination ) has a higher value the the opposite side it would suggest the lower wishbone is bent. It's a way to focus on the sprung or unsprung chassis.