Daughter came home the other day and said "Why did my brakes not work?"

Digging as little further, it transpires that she was driving along, went to brake, and the pedal hit the floor. Slowed down, braked again and they worked.

Had a look this morning and thought "Oi oi, pads are getting down a bit!." so got some new ones and fitted this evening. This is what came off.

apec-1.jpg

apec-2.jpg

So, looks like the pad material on one side has let go and buggered off, leaving a fair old gap to make up on the next pedal press, then it went down to metal and contact made, and the brakes worked again. So new pads & discs fitted and all working again.

Unless it's the angle of the pads it looks like the others aren't that old - are you going to complain to the manufacturer?

Well done to your daughter for telling you as well, plenty would've just left it! :(

She should had got a warning light on the dash.... The fact she didn't tells me someone has topped up the brake fluid level and over ridden the indicator float. Did fluid run out when you pushed the calliper pistons back?

Pad #3 must have been stuck in the carrier hence the accelerated wear, look at the rust on it.

I reckon the Civic one that was seized wasn't far from coming off the backing plate.

Unless it's the angle of the pads it looks like the others aren't that old - are you going to complain to the manufacturer?

Well done to your daughter for telling you as well, plenty would've just left it! :(

The pads & discs are what was on when I bought it for her nearly 2 years ago, so nothing there to complain about. As for her telling me, it took her a day to consider it was important enough for that.

She should had got a warning light on the dash.... The fact she didn't tells me someone has topped up the brake fluid level and over ridden the indicator float. Did fluid run out when you pushed the calliper pistons back?

The warning is only on the pad on the extreme left (inner pad on the passenger side) so no warning would be generated unless that pad wears down. No fluid leak when caliper pushed back in. Fluid level I checked before removing the pads and it was okay.

Pad #3 must have been stuck in the carrier hence the accelerated wear, look at the rust on it.

No, nothing catching or binding, just the pad let go. She' now tells me that it's been making a grinding noise for a few weeks when she turns hard right (this was the drivers side outer pad btw) so I reckon the material has been loose and just hanging on for some time, then at the critical point it escaped from the caliper and resulted in pedal to the floor suddenly.

Unfortunately not. It was a private sale some 20 odd months ago. However, judging by the tyres that were fitted to make it road legal for sale I'm not sure they would have cost a great deal. The tyres were part worn with bulges, cracking sidewalls, and loads of road noise. I would expect the same cost appraisal methods were used in selecting brakes.

No, nothing catching or binding, just the pad let go. She' now tells me that it's been making a grinding noise for a few weeks when she turns hard right (this was the drivers side outer pad btw) so I reckon the material has been loose and just hanging on for some time, then at the critical point it escaped from the caliper and resulted in pedal to the floor suddenly.

Is she a new driver? I have to admit when I first started driving and didn't have much interest in cars other than driving them I had a similar noise and the brakes didn't 'feel' right. Asked my Dad what it was so he went to look and the pads were down to the metal! I guess being young and a new driver it's easily done but I check everything now on a regular basis :)

She's been driving for about 5 years now, but mechanically our household is inept (except for me). They can open the bonnet maybe, but after that they just lose the plot and shut the bonnet again. Screen wash is just about a possibility, but they have to ring me to ask where the bloody stuff is in the garage. It's right next to the door on the floor because it's the most popular item.