How to park your super car...

Tony

It was being built in Scotts Road next door to the Sheraton Hotel when I was living (and working) in Singapore. Makes sense when you consider the scarcity of land on the island. I lived in the next road (Orchard) initially, but moved to serviced apartments in Bukit Timah Road which had normal parking in the basement level. However, we only had two floors of apartments so basement parking wasn't a problem, but the Scotts Hamilton building has 30 stories on not that big a footprint, so I guess skyparking was the only option. 

Bad enough trying to get a car in Singapore as it is necessary to acquire a COE (certificate of entitlement) before being able to get one, and they are strictly limited to avoid over congestion (it's bad enough anyway, so if they didn't operate the COE no one would move). The cost of a COE is quite high, and was over £40,000 when I was last there in 2012, but I understand it's only about £30,000 now  for cars over 1600 cc (COE lasts 10 years). 

Love the way you say 'only' £30k! :lol: But then to the super rich that is pocket money.

I could only afford to run a Malaysian made Proton :( . There's about 1 car for every 8 people in Singapore, which is still quite high considering the cost of ownership. Awful lot more mopeds though, especially when all the Malaysian day workers ride across the causeways and join in the daily rush hour(s).  

The COE for 1601 cc and over is the same price regardless of whether it's a 'supercar' or a bog standard saloon. You're only allowed to drive right hand drives, except under certain circumstances, and importing a second hand car over three years old isn't allowed, so there's not really any cheap options.

So if that price is for everyone what is the average wage over there, how can people other than the rich afford it?

Living there is certainly getting more expensive. Last year I had to go to Malaysia so flew to Singapore and had a one night stopover before crossing the causeway into Malaysia. The cost of the night in Singapore exceeded the cost of the entire four days in Malaysia.

http://www.averagesalarysurvey.com/article/average-salary-in-singapore/04234524.aspx

The COE for 1601 cc and over is the same price regardless of whether it's a 'supercar' or a bog standard saloon. You're only allowed to drive right hand drives, except under certain circumstances, and importing a second hand car over three years old isn't allowed, so there's not really any cheap options.

That is interesting, that's still effectively £3000/year road tax which is a fairly hefty charge.

I've never been there, but Singapore has fairly impressive public transport though doesn't it?

That is interesting, that's still effectively £3000/year road tax which is a fairly hefty charge.

I've never been there, but Singapore has fairly impressive public transport though doesn't it?

Forgot to add that road tax is in addition to the COE, e.g. a 2 litre car is taxed at around £575.00 per year. In addition there's the ERP (electronic road pricing) system which is effectively a road toll which increases depending on peak periods etc. Cars have to be fitted with an electronic unit which takes a stored value cash card that has cash taken from it 100 feet before passing through the overhead gantries (there's 41 gantries along the major express ways, outer ring road and the inner restricted zone. If you do not have sufficient funds on the card (it can be topped up in shops/stores etc.) the vehicle gets photographed and you pay a fine plus the charge later.

The Mass Rapid Transport (MRT) system is brilliant and relatively cheap. Just like the London Tube system but more efficient and a lot cleaner. The same cash card for the ERP can be used on the MRP and buses.  If you work around the central area a car is really an inconvenience as parking is difficult to find and also expensive. I used to be cheeky when shopping and take my Proton to Raffles to get their valets to park it, along with all the Ferraris etc. :lol: as it was easier/cheaper than paying for the regular parking.