E46 M3 tramlining

Rick101

Hi,

Done a few drives in my M3 now and have realised it is tramlining quite badly at speed. Had put it down to new car, different driver, my nerves etc at first but it's def an issue.

Seems ok at legal speeds but if you ever need to go faster or are doing a swift overtake, the car seems to be all over the place.

Note I am referring to bumpy North Yorkshire A and B roads. Not done a long motorway run in it yet so will have to see if it's also affected then too.

Any common or known issues with these cars? It has the OE Conti sport M3 specific tyres on. 

Thanks

• Like 1

First thing to check is the front control arm compliance bushings?...... Whys to test....

1: Visual splits

2: Handbrake on, steering straight, can you rock the wheel back/ forth ( not side-to-side ) that's a different test.

3: IN A SAFE PLACE while driving at 10/ 15 mph dab the brake and can you feel a thump back at the pedal or steering

When I got the Accord it had 225 wide tyres, which are the widest I've ever used and that tramlines abit. Isn't it just one of the downsides of having wide tyres? With the winter wheels on, which are 205 wide it's much better and I'm actually thinking about selling the 17s and getting 16s for the summer wheels as the ride is also more comfortable. But the 17s do look good, which I'd so do the 19s on your M3 and in the dry it does seem to handle better on 225 wide tyres.