Advice on Mazda dealership alignment

David Anderson

I dont have a measuring tape here but when I was out at the car at lunch I had a quick look on the front shocks both sides and the springs seem to be perched diffrent from passenger to drivers side... I can see the end of the spring towards me on the passenger side but the drivers one seems to be 'wound round' further and is hidden.. Ill try get photos - still have no idea if only 1 or both springs were done for the MOT fail in september by previous owner

The lower part of the coil is pig-tailed. The end of the coil should rest against the low side of a raised ledge on the lower damper platform, can you check that.

Haven't been able to measure yet but here's pics. The bottom of the passenger spring sits about 1/4 of an inch from touching the end stopper on the bottom of the shock. The drier side sits firm against it. The tops though both sit differently from passenger side to driver, should they sit the some visibly? The top ends are in diffrent places

Passenger side https://mega.co.nz/#!VEQSXCbT!ZQyALBts6lKHJNaUGHFLjU2DCjOdiV8soXvNbDHrLUM Rusty bit is the end of the spring visably at the front on this one.

Driver side https://mega.co.nz/#!kNYiFTyT!EtnH1fU6LSsTBaOFPlDhrcK4waTCOM5rKdVV-q-r92o

Did notice they only changed drop link in driver side aswell. Worth doing other side? Aftermarket part smd original on passenger side.

The top mount has a seat for the top helix to sit in and as said the bottom damper perch has a raised ledge the lower helix sits against. From the image i can't see if top/ bottom helix's are engaged so you need to check that.

I wouldn't worry about the other drop-link since it has no influence on body height. What i would like is the trim height numbers so i can give you the data they would "have" to set the chassis to.

I wont get a chance to measure until this evening. I was late home last night and forgot to pop out with the measuring tape!. It doesnt seem to look like theres any kind of end plate fort he top of the coil like the bottom? The passenger one looks like the end and 1st coil ring are spot welded together which is the rusty spot you can see in the photo - could just be the fast it was dark the rust patch on the spring was giving me that impression.

Front the front view of the spring I could 8 coils and 7 on the driver side.. Could be conspiracy theorising but surely if a small top portion of the spring was what broke and failed mot surely the last owner wouldnt be able to just pull half a coil off and pass mot... The suspension nuts didnt look too played with and neither of the rpings look like they were replaced 500 miles ago.

I count seven helix on both coils....... Historically on the MX5 the lower helix brakes. The end of the helix should be smooth and flat, if it has broken in the past it will be tapered and sharp so you need to check that. In addition the top mount seat for the helix is in rubber so the actual position will be hard to see but if your correct and a helix has been removed a simple test would be to jack that side up and see if you can move the coil.

I was counting the top part fo the passenger coil that comes round the front end ends as another helix. I suppose you could say its only half, 7 and 1/2 lol wheas the driver coil the end of the spring isnt visible from the front even though the bottom is sitting in the same position as the passenger I would have thought the top would be in the same place 

112.jpg

yes. that would do it David.

the spring desing to me look different between old and new. and I dont think they are compatible as it looks to me like the passanger side has a more 'progressive' design whilst the drivers side does not

Its more than 15mm and closer to an inch. The car is back at Mazda now, unfortunately I had a hectic weekend and never had the time to get the trim height so hopefully they sort it out today - I will be picking it up at the back of 5, they asked I leave the car with them this time!

When looking at Eibach springs online last night and that they lower 35mm then looking at photos of cars with that (considering the height diffrence on my front axel is probably about that) I had a thought that its more along the lines off the passenger side is sitting high ratehr than the driver side sitting low! Its still very tractor on the driver side wihcih an inch lower than standard wouldn't be! It could be the passenger side the whole time thats the issue. I will need to inspect the strut bolts a bit closer on the passenger side to see if in fact both front springs were done. I was going to as Mazda to have a look at this but I have lost all confidence in them!

No the driver side which was deffinately replaced as it failed MOT in september and needed a retest frot he front offside spring fracture - this side is the side with is lower.

Im just wondering rather than focusing on the driver side is sitting lower there is something wrong in that corner, it may well be more the passenger side is higher than it should be and something is wrong on that side. Just a thought as the driver side o look at looks about standard ride height on an MX5 NC1 and fro being just under an inch lower than the passenger side it should really sit noticeable lower but it doesn't its only when you measure it you see the difference - and you can tell the car leans a bit when looking strait on at the front.

Are there any markings on the standard front springs from mazda? Did notice the rears have dots/stickers on the coils. Could be away of telling if both front springs were replaced. Theres certainly no markings on the front driver side.

I really need those trim height measurements to conclude the issue...... It might be the upper arm bushings are pre-loaded but at this moment it's pure speculation.

I did have a look at the bushes, they were not twisted. The front bush on the upper wishbone of the driver side was a bit mangled looking and the rubber can be flapped about but its not twisted and no knocking etc and this was looked at by mazda when the car was aligned initially.

Ok....... For now how are they approaching the new chassis measurement. Is the trim height going to be accounted for? Are they going to respect to "over axle" disparity? 

And i s**t you not..... Do NOT leave there without a printout of today's performance. Warranty or not it's your car and you have a right to witness the results no matter what they say. Put it this way without evidence as far as you know there's a tech lounged on your seat right now smoking a fag in the car park..... Come 5pm they say "all done" everything was fine...... Well was it really?

PRINTOUT PLEASE!

yeah I will make sure I get a print out. The service staff might be finished by the time I get thereto pick up the car but I have asked them to leave the info with the keys and another member of staff if thats the case. They will give a print out. I didnt get to speak to the tech just the reception this morning, the place wasnt even open when I was dropping the car off. Apparently the 'service manager' is doing the alignment as he told me last week...

I feel they have been pre-warned with your discontent and i hope the service manager is up to code..... If not i can act as an independent non profit arbitrator which is quite within your rights.

What's scary is as you are aware geometry positions drastically effect the cars handling but yet geometry calibration/ performance is totally unregulated :huh: Part of my mission with the centre/ web-sites and forum/s is to expose expectations. It's not all about online solutions or sales, it's about education in what's been encompassed in a category of a "gray art"? It's not a gray art, more like it's hard to understand and police.

This next bit is going to read like a bit of an advert but hay this is my forum...... As said the information exposed in this forum out shines the entire industry because it dumb's down the historical complexity related to the forbidden word "geometry". My customers travel 100's of miles and that actually makes me feel sad? How many tyre centres have they driven past to get to us..... Well that's how bad it is out there!

My team normally has one hour to conclude/ solve/ calibrate the complaint. They have one chance to get it right first time. This customer cannot travel back 300 miles if we miss the problem...... So guys you have one hour to get it right.

It's a hard call on them and that's why i need the best of the best...... Back to the point, Mr service manager needs to display performance, i want, nay insist the over axle disparities are within +-30' and even that's sloppy, and the correct datum for the trim height is respected. 

New alignment results - https://mega.co.nz/#!lAhG1BjJ!popQM8-Rv5Lt3zUadO26kynMvYo9DMqYZmjWlyMWBms

The caster still miles out and he said it's solid and he can't adjust it. The bloody steering wheel is not exactly center now which is the only thing I noticed driving home! I'm not sure about the numbers but the diagnosis seems miles out again specially the toe from the last alignment

That sucks once again...... Who's doing the work, the tea lady?

To explain not all machines print the trim height but the fact there's no camber/ castor data on the print suggests the correct trim height wasn't input into the machine...

The castor is still dire as is the rear camber. Do they actually know how to adjust the castor?