Advice needed

SHAHZ

In the next few months im looking to get some bigger rims, with the temperatures rapidly dropping, the prioirty is some winter tyres as the e60 is twitchy on dry roads let alone wet/icey roads!

Im currently running the 18" MV2 alloys which i believe are an 8J rim, correct me if im wrong Tony?! 

Question i have, price aside, how much better/more grip would i get from running 17" 7.5J rims as opposed to the MV2 rims?  If there isnt that much difference in performance, the 18s obviously look better and would rather run these as my winter wheels than 17s!

Cheers

Width is the issue not diameter. Point is to allow as much weight as possible within the tyres footprint...... Think of rally cars on ice, their tyres look like bicycle tyres.

So Tony, would you say performance increase significantly from 8j to 7.5j to justify new rims? Or is there not much in it?

Surely unless you're cutting through ice/snow, in normal cold conditions you're still better off with the wider tyres?

Good point, can't say if it is or isn't though, Lool!

What tyres have you got on at the mo and how's the geo? Surprised the car would feel that twitchy, our Merc has 9.5J on the rear and still feels absolutely fine once the tyres can get a bit of heat into them (it's on Dunlops which aren't amazing but are a good balance between summer and winter performance)

No that's nothing noticeable mate.

Cheers for clarifying mate, just need to decide which ones now!

What tyres have you got on at the mo and how's the geo? Surprised the car would feel that twitchy, our Merc has 9.5J on the rear and still feels absolutely fine once the tyres can get a bit of heat into them (it's on Dunlops which aren't amazing but are a good balance between summer and winter performance)

I think they are dunlop RFs, cant check as its currently in for some warranty work!  Seems ok, but until i manage to get down to WIM for it to be checked, i cant really say, it drives straight.though.... think its more twitchy just due to the fact of temps are dropping so the tyres are not performing as well, saying that it can be a little jittery on cornering at speed - having never had RFs before, this could just be characteristics of the RFs?

I hate RFT'S, but saying that if the geo is out then this won't help as you know.

Indeed, will get up and see you soon, will probably be for the corolla first though.... got in it the other day and the steering was all over the place, got out the car looked at the tyres/rims and the nearside front and been kerbed.... got back in said to the mrs have you kerbed it?  no?!  errr yeah right, thats why there is fresh kerb rash half way round the rim :sad01_anim:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  think it will need new front tyres too as tread was looking low!

That's not the one given the time of year. What are you going for "winters".

Not sure actually, the dunlops on the corolla have always done well in the winter/snow, where i couldn't get up the slightest if inclines (including the drive) in the snow,the corolla did so with ease!!  Plus im looking at replacing it soon too!

Yep could be the RFTs that's making the difference - if you're changing tyres look at Michelin RFTs, my brother put them on his Z4 and it transformed the car.

Cheers,will defo consider em!