• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't get the immobiliser wiring sorted this weekend. Hopefully I can do it tomorrow. Only one pair of joints left to solder.

After that I just need to put the interior back together. :)

Oh it's not too bad. I was visiting friends and karting over the weekend, so it's a pleasant way to not finish something.

The interior won't take long. It's been out so many times now I can literally put it back together in pitch blackness. Soldering is a bit more tricky as it takes two extension leads to reach across the garden into the car park. Not ideal when it's raining!

That's great, thanks. What time are you open till as I may need to collect during the week. I'm guessing you won't be working the bank holiday?

I now have a potential buyer even if it can't be economically repaired. Just have to get it to them. Away for my wedding anniversary next weekend though and keen to have this sorted one way or another!

Thanks again for your help with this Tony. :)

Hi Tony, apologies once again for being so late, and thanks a million for looking at it for me.

I say again, it seems to have got dramatically worse. Last time I put a set of stock wheels on the shake almost went away. Now it's every bit as bad regardless.

I'm concerned that the inner track rod end may have unwound itself again on the way over so would strongly recommend you take a look at it before taking the car on the road.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

No worries about the timing......... From this day forward you will be known as "late -A- clock" :lol:

Back to work...... Obviously i need to ensure the car is safe to drive so i can experience the complaint, but my gathering of thoughts given the work already done is there's a fracture in the chassis somewhere that connects the steer pick up points...

To be continued.........

Hi Tony, I talked to Joe yesterday and he said that he's balanced the wheels and it's A-ok now. That's really raised some eyebrows on the MR2 club, none more so than the two guys whose wheels I borrowed for testing!

We added it up and the car has had six sets of wheels installed, each balanced at different garages with different tyres on. None of them has even reduced the shake so it's hard to get my head around this, and the two borrowed sets didn't vibrate on their "native" car.

I guess the next question is "what could make my car hyper-sensitive to imbalanced wheels"? The steering damper is in good condition so I'm not sure where to go with it next.

It all seems really bizarre, but I'll pick it up tonight if possible and see what happens.

What time are you open till? I'll have to get the train so it might be quite close to the wire again unless you close really late. If so I'll try and get out early.

Thanks

Alan

Edit: in other news, I might have slightly freaked out and bought myself another car when "chassis cracks" started looking like the main candidate. It may look a little familiar, but I'm a bit OCD and wanted "a good un". :)

00611FF8-079B-401A-9FE9-BD08EBE2F64B-616

I have no idea what state the geo / balance is in so this will be coming your way ASAP for some of your finest fettling! :)

More than likely every other set of wheels was balanced using the centre hole rather than the stud holes. The centre hole is only cosmetic so never truly in the centre, so it's always best to get them balanced using the stud holes. It is abit strange that you tried that many and it didn't even reduce the vibrating.

Liking the new motor! :D

So the issue was just wheel balancing? That seems quite a simple solution, glad it was an easy fix! Rich is right in terms of balancing using the bolt holes, but I'd imagine most wheels are still centre balanced reasonably well - I can't imagine that so many different sets of wheels were all made so poorly?

I'm baffled by this, look forward to hearing Tony's full explanation (if in fact there is even any more to this).

The new car looks very tidy indeed!

Cheers guys, the new car is a genuine "time warp" example. The interior in particular is literally like brand new. I've never seen anything like it.

With regards to the white car - the main thing that strikes me is that it doesn't really matter if the other wheels are centre balanced or not. Two of those sets wheels came off, and are now fitted back on, cars that do not have a steering shake.

How come on my car those self-same wheels are responsible for a vibration that literally pulls the car apart???