Nature's chemicals

Sagitar

Stunning close up's, really showing how the water is repelled.

It's a plant with a fascinating history related to the way that it sheds water. The first part of the name "Alchemillis" comes from alchemy. The alchemists believed that the sparkling drops of water remaining on the leaves after rain or morning dew, were particularly pure and had special properties that would help in transmuting lead into gold.

Mollis is latin and just means "soft". The leaves are covered with soft, fine, hairs and I think these hairs help to retain a layer of air on the leaf surface so that the water flows over it.

nano sealant is one of many versions of hydrophobic wax/coating.  carneuba wax is a natural version and Nano is either a brand or misnoma for the minute attributes that cause the beading effect.

a cheesy video about "nano"

i have used rainx on my windscreen for a couple of years, its a hydrophobic coating and helps massively, i would highly reccomend this kind of product. Equally i have used Collinite 476s wax on my mr2 for a few years, it has a very strange slippery effect on the paint surface, makes it feel tougher too. Water and dust struggle to cling to it, which is great around these parts!

collinite water beeding, not my video but i had the same results. Just take my car to the shops and back after a rain shower and the water just falls of the car instead of leaving marks

Thanks for that, I have collinite 476 as well and have been pretty happy with it, being a synthetic product are these nano sealants better at it or longer lasting? (although collinite does last well)

Yes they can last 6+ months easily, although collinite will do that aswell. The advantage of them is they tend to be easier to apply and they sheet water much better keeping the car cleaner for longer.

I have some Collinite, but I can assure you that I didn't put any on the Alchemilla.

I did however try some additional pictures at larger magnifications. The two that follow were taken with a 5X macro lens. The first is lit by daylight through a window; the second using a ring-flash (you can see the crescent shaped reflection in the water drops) and with a slightly higher magnification.

They are not great pics and I think I need a more rigid set-up, but the hairs on plant are easy to see and the way in which they pierce and anchor the droplets is obvious. The droplets by the way, are about 1 millimetre diameter.

20130530MacroX51.jpg

20130530MacroX52.jpg