Different offset wheels on the same axle

Rich

Ok so I decided to clean the car today and take the front wheels off to clean all the grease off from me split CV boots.

I took the OS off first and the stamp said ET35, which is what they're suppose to be and I checked one of them when I bought the wheels to make sure. Then I took the NS wheel off and clean it and that's when I noticed it said ET29!!!! :)

Now I've had the wheels on the car for a year and half with no problems. Car was drifting to the left but Tony said that was down to the tyres. I can't tell if the rears have the same offset as the difference is so small to visually see.

So assuming that 2 of my wheels are ET35 and the other 2 are ET29 and there's one of each on the same axle what problems could this cause? The drifting I get?

I can't change them over yet as the front tyres have only recently been changed and done 1000 miles. The rears only had about 2mm left so will be changing them soon. Should the ET35 be put on the front or rear, bearing in mind the recommended offset for my car is ET35 - ET42!

Something else to worry about now!! :)

Well like you said earlier I haven't had any problems but I'd be happier having the same offset wheels on the same axle, just to see if it does make a difference if anything.

I'll get the same brand tyres I got for the front and then change them around, I was going to put the ET35 wheels on the rear in case it drops any lower!! :)

i dont understand....if there the same wheels then how can thay have differant offsets???????????

Same patten different vehicle destinations.... Someone somewhere has!... Made a mistake.

Well I still need to check the rears to see what they are, if they're both ET35 then maybe who ever had them before me damaged one and replaced it with an ET29! Or it could be an ET35 but when manufactured it was stamped up wrong, but I suppose the chances of that are slim!

• 2 weeks later...

They're compomotive.

My only worry is that both the rears are actually ET29. If they are I'm definitely getting rid of them, only problem is how do you sell wheels that have different offsets!! :sad01_anim:

They're compomotive.

My only worry is that both the rears are actually ET29. If they are I'm definitely getting rid of them, only problem is how do you sell wheels that have different offsets!! :sad01_anim:

Same way you bought them....

They're compomotive.

Same way you bought them....

True but I'm an honest guy, when I bought them I had to get one repaired as well as it was buckled slightly!

Think I will have to play dumb...

But what cars have wheels with a PCD 108 and ET29??

God damn it the rears are ET20!!!! That's a 15mm difference :)

Looks like someone has tried scratching the numbers off as well :)

Confirms why I was weary about lowering it at the rear anyway and the clearance between the tyre and arch,

So the rears are ET20 and the fronts are ET35 and ET27. This is the 3rd set of wheels I've had fitting problems with now and this has definiately put me off buying from ebay again unless I can see them first.

Plus to top it all off one of the rear tyres has started bulging so swapped it for the spare which is a different size so gotta take it easy :thumbsup_anim:

Mate you have no luck..... Personally i don't but off 'flee bay' for this very type of reason.

Well as I can't afford new wheels it's really the only alternative, just have to be extra careful now.

Might get some better luck in my next life!! :thumbsup_anim:

Can you get them from a forum for your car. With quite a few cars the standard wheels are cheap as people like to upgrade.

Yeah when they are available and too be honest even the standard ones are sought after.

I spent ages looking for some ST24 ones and got these in the end. Then someone put some up for sale!

Was gonna put me new grooved discs on the weekend as well, not much point now can't see them through steelies!! :thumbsup_anim:

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update -

Now I have me new wheels on I thought I'd visually compare the difference between the arch lip and the side of the tyre. There's doesn't seem to be much in it though. Now as the rears of the old wheels are stamped ET20 I thought the difference would be very noticeable. But there only seems to be about 5mm of difference. But they I also have to consider the fact the new rims are 7" wide, the old ones are 6.5" and the old tyres are 205, the new ones 215 :)

Anyway, now they're off the car is there a way I can measure the offset accurately with a tape measure?

They're going on fleabay tonight either way...

Bit of an update -

Now I have me new wheels on I thought I'd visually compare the difference between the arch lip and the side of the tyre. There's doesn't seem to be much in it though. Now as the rears of the old wheels are stamped ET20 I thought the difference would be very noticeable. But there only seems to be about 5mm of difference. But they I also have to consider the fact the new rims are 7" wide, the old ones are 6.5" and the old tyres are 205, the new ones 215 :)

Anyway, now they're off the car is there a way I can measure the offset accurately with a tape measure?

They're going on fleabay tonight either way...

Since the wheels are stamped just advertise them as that?..... If you want to measure them yourself then here is the "where-from-to-guide"

post-2-1180695895.jpg