Delicate but tough

Sagitar

During the autumn I planted a couple of rows of Violas down the sides of the front path to create a bit of colour as winter came on.

In the past week, they have been buried under several inches of snow, battered by hours of driving rain and frozen solid and coated in heavy frost for a couple of days. I felt sure they must be goners.

And yet this morning, out came the sun and immediately these tiny plants lifted their heads and stood up for themselves. What tough little blighters they are . . . . . :o

20121215Violas4.jpg

20121215Violas2.jpg

That is impressive, assume they are some kind of winter flower so are accustomed to harsh weather? Still impressive they could survive being covered in snow.

Winter flowering pansies are quite common, but I sometimes think the marketing is better than the plants. However, this particular Viola is an F1 hybrid bred for winter/spring flowering, which is supposed to be hardy down to -23C.

It seems to be living up to its blurb . . . . . . :)

Winter flowering pansies are quite common, but I sometimes think the marketing is better than the plants. However, this particular Viola is an F1 hybrid bred for winter/spring flowering, which is supposed to be hardy down to -23C.

It seems to be living up to its blurb . . . . . . :)

-23C? Blimey those are some tough flowers! :)

• 5 weeks later...

And more of nature's toughies were seen today when the frost revealed hundreds of spider webs all over the garden.

Not very many "rectangular" ones though, like this one on the bird table.

20130116FrozenWebs2.jpg

Here a 100% monochrome magnification of the centre of the same web.

20130116FrozenWebs4.jpg

Goes to show how strong the webs are being able to resist the weight of the ice.

Just so. I know you don't like spiders, but I think you have to admit that they are incredible creatures. I was reading a research paper on them recently that pointed out, that relative to their body size, they can create overnight, a structure out of their own body that is as large a football pitch and capable of capturing a flying object the size of an aeroplane. What's more, they can do it every night!

I know a lot of webs are left but as lot of spiders eat their own web to re-use the resources, I wonder if they leave them when its frosty like this?

It must really be cold for them. It would be like eating a load of ice lollies on a freezing day.