Winter tyres

Tony

Thanks Tony, reply sent.

I'm still thinking what to do ( for 3rd year running ), now I don't work I'm looking at the cost against the mileage I am likely to do. I know they will last a good few years and storage isn't a problem but just don't know if I can justify it to save me clearing the snow off my drive each time it snows so I can get in and out the garage to do my local shopping.

If you can afford them you might as well, it will save you alot of time and potential bad back! From how you've described your driveway before it sounds like a nightmare when it's covered in snow.

From how you've described your driveway before it sounds like a nightmare when it's covered in snow.

Yes it is. It's on a hill both ways and also my drive comes out onto a corner. So I back down the drive and have to turn near the bottom to swing the car round so it's pointing the opposite way to what it was in the garage. If that makes sense. Then off down the hill and a big bend at the bottom. On coming back it's big bend so have to drop speed, up hill that quite a few get stuck on ( I haven't yet in two Focii ) then aim at the corner up the kerb, over the pavement and swing the car back parallel to the hill I was going up, up the slope of the drive, over a lightweight manhole cover just before I slow into the garage. If I don't clear the part of the drive I go up / down including the bit for swinging it round then even though I'm FWD I can't get up it.

I have run my winters all year, much against a few friends suggesting they would wear out by september i still have many thousands of miles left on the rear and a little less on the front before they reach the tread depth markers, which are taller on these winters than the summer ones.

Other than being a little softer i havent had any negetive comments to make for all year driving, although this year hasnt been especially hot, which i will conceed that i can imagine they wearing quicker through a hot summer. We have had a lot of water on the road this year around Herefordshire/shropshire and these winters have been exceptional in those conditions on top of being fantastic on the frosty/icy conditions of last winter. Although i dont wish for a heavy winter i feel confident they will perform and i am interested to see just how capable they are in real snow conditions like winter before last.

Pretty much the same for me, I have run mine all year as well. The odd day when it has been very hot you can feel the difference as the tyres are very soft. In the wet though, even above 7 degrees they've been brilliant. Got loads of wear left as well but I'm going to rotate these so all 4 wear even.

With the depth markers you may find the first is when the sipes disappear and then there should be a second for the legal limit.