Octavia tyres

Rick101

Hi,

Well the saga of the Jag has ended. It lasted about 10 weeks cost me about £750 in repairs and a further £1500 in depreciation. That was an expensive car!

For various reasons, reliability being the main, I changed it for a 2008 Octavia VRS.

Seems a good all rounder and will give me the fuel economy I need for a likely increased mileage next year.

Noticed it pulling to NSF on the test drive so asked them to repair. Not sure what they actually changed but it does track straight now although steering wheel is ofset 5 degrees so that could do with sorting out.

Currently on Bridgestone Potenza 225/45/17. Not really had chance to try these out yet.

I do approx 20K a year. 19K of that is motorways.

Most of my driving is pretty sedate but on occasion like to 'drive' the car. (i'm likely to up the bhp to around 200)

Max speed i'll do is 130mph.

Car is used in all weather, sun rain and snow.

Would like a quiet a tyre as possible.

Any suggestions?

Anything else I should think about?

Thanks.

Rear tyres sawtooth its a known issue on octy's ( I had one for 6 years) so when the tyres on the rear get down to 5mm or so swap them with the fronts but even so they usually end up sounding like the wheel bearings are shot long before they wear out

I always liked eagle f1's on it but fitted Falken 452's last time and they weren't a patch on the eagles

I have a k&n in the garage for it if you are interested ;)

I'm guessing its a diesel , do you know if its the pd or cr engine as some 2008's had either

Oh and join briskoda.com :)

I tend to go for value in most things I buy. Not that I scrimp, I just like to buy things that don't sell on brand name alone.

For some reason that doesn't transpire to tyres, I usually go for the brand name. I guess thats because it's hard to tell the difference. I't's unlikely i'll ever get to test them back to back and the risk factor is considerably higher.

Some of the comments aren't so good...

"My initial impressions were that this was an excellent tyre. Then it started to wear and the grip became dangerous in the wet (still with 6mm left). They needed constant rebalancing and after 10000 miles one of the tyres was out of shape (im aware of at least one other peson who has had similar). It looked like the tyre was trying to come off the rim.

I would no longer recommend these tyres and would recommend Nokians or Falkens instead."

They then go on to recommend Falkens, yet I hated mine, especially in the wet, but everyone else seems to love them!

Alot of the other reviews say these NT5000 are good in the wet, I guess it depends on the car.

• 1 month later...

What mileage did you get out of them?

Get about 18-20k out of both the Octy and Superb fronts , i dont rotate them to be honest and the rear tyres tend to sawtooth rather than wear out so i replace them when they get noisy so between 20-25k for the rear

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got these done on Monday.

Great service and a great price.

Car now drives lovely and I have a lot more confidence in the wet. Was very hand coming back up a rather wet M1 this morning.

Thanks you all your advice.