Just how noisey are winter tyres?

Rich

Yes I still have mine on, not really seen much point in taking them off with this weather and the low miles I do. I've noticed over the last few months a noise coming from the front of the car, mainly when cornering that is in sync with the rotation of the wheels. I don't think it's bearings or driveshaft related, it feels like it's the tyres. Could it be where the roads have warmed up causing them to be noisier?

I did that the weekend, increased them by 2psi and it's not made a difference. I've had the wheels off the last couple of weeks while cleaning the brakes and the wear is even, they still look new. I really need to spin the wheels though to check for play and the bearings, I forgot. Suppose to be nice this weekend so I'll do that. Think I need to get these other wheels sprayed and put on the car so I can see if the noise disappears.

No it's when cornering I get the noise, it is there sometimes in a straight line but not as loud. Think I need to check everything over but I've had bearings go before and they were very loud, more than this noise.

If I stop at a junction and pull out there is no noise. If I'm moving and then turn into a road I get the noise, the same when going round a bend as well. I also think it's louder turning right than it is left but I'll check when going home from work. I know I've been having issues with the brakes on this car and the slider pins are known for seizing but I've cleaned and regreased them recently. I wonder if the brakes are binding slightly but then I've been checking the wheels to see how hot they get and they're only warm after a run.

on my winters (still on the car) there is an increased road noise over the standard tyres, Ive upped the psi by 5 to make them sit correctly and wear evenly in the dry conditions. I too get some increase in noise when cornering coming from the fronts, all i can put it down to is the taller tyre treads, sips and much softer compound as it sounds almost identical to when im using different tyres on my mountain bike, a kind of knobly stretch grumble if that makes sence? :lol:

put my summer tyres back on my bike and i loose the odd sound on cornering so i can only assume the same of the car as there is nothing wrong with any steering/wheel/suspension parts.

What pressure you running yours on phipck? It's only been the last 2 or 3 months I've noticed it, which is when the roads have got warmer.

In the last month I have taken all 4 brakes apart and regreased them, I don't think it is those but will check the weekend, along with the bearings. The car seems to brake and handle ok plus if it was the bearing wouldn't it hum in a straight line as well?

I didn't want to put my 17s on until I had sprayed them but if I have to I will test it with them...If the noise goes then it's the tyres.

Just got home, it is definitely alot louder turning right than it is left. In fact left isn't that loud at all. So it's either the pads rubbing on the disc or the bearing. What side would the bearing be, opposite side to steering?

the rated psi unladen is 30 rear 32-34 front, im currently running 34 rear and 36-37 front. If i run the rated psi the tyres bulge massively as though underinflated and the outer edges of the tyre start to wear more. This is after much deliberation and consideration but during the very cold and wet conditions the psi was lower naturally because of the cold air temp so i believe they were around 32 rear and 34-35 front in the middle of the winter. this also helped with icy conditions as the tyre had more give before loosing grip

Between 44 seconds and just over a minute is the noise in this video. This was going round a roundabout doing about 25-30mph just after hitting lift on the dual carriageway!

Just got home, it is definitely alot louder turning right than it is left. In fact left isn't that loud at all. So it's either the pads rubbing on the disc or the bearing. What side would the bearing be, opposite side to steering?

Is the noise coming from a particular side? When my bearing failed it also was only noisy when turning in one direction (I've forgotten which) but it was very clearly coming from my left front wheel.