Extreme Low Pass

That is madness albeit clever madness... One thought though, you would think ground effect would suck the glider down?

Does the opposite. Ground effect on aircraft is effectively compressing a cushion of air under the wing. If it wasn't for retractable Spoilers on the upper surface of the wing, ground effect would make it difficult to land within a reasonable distance.

You ever done gliding Terry as I'm thinking of doing it? I see them all the time above Whipsnade when we go and the missus gave me the money for me birthday to do it (rather than book). You also get 3 months membership to fly whenever you want. I've flown before and been in a small aircraft but I'm not sure about a plane with no engine, what are they like?

Looking at booking it here - http://www.londonglidingclub.co.uk/gifts.xml

You ever done gliding Terry as I'm thinking of doing it?

Do it! You won't regret it as its a marvellous feeling. All this cobblers about not being sure about no engine - at least the machine is designed to fly without an engine!

Seriously though you really should have a go - nothing to worry about at all and it's PROPER flying where you can feel the air. Not totally silent as there is some wind noise. They should let you take the controls too for a bit.

Hadn't been for years and did it with the MX5OC last year down at Challock in Kent. Must pull my finger out and do it again soon.

I'm definitely doing it, will be a great experience. When do you think is the best time to book so I can make the most of the 3 months. Now during the 'summer' or towards the end of the year?

You ever done gliding Terry as I'm thinking of doing it? I see them all the time above Whipsnade when we go and the missus gave me the money for me birthday to do it (rather than book). You also get 3 months membership to fly whenever you want. I've flown before and been in a small aircraft but I'm not sure about a plane with no engine, what are they like?

Looking at booking it here - http://www.londonglidingclub.co.uk/gifts.xml

Since I solo'd as an air cadet at 16 :o and that as you know was a long time ago. Joined our local club in the 80's but been flying on and off since then due to working abroad a lot. Retired this year so became a member again, and looking to buy a decent sailplane or part share. We have a twin winch for launching off a mile and a half of tarmac runway, so get a minimum of 1500 feet, and it's a lot cheaper than aerotows

You'l enjoy it Rich, best way to fly, and easier than driving a car once you have the basics. Always thought this summed it up quite well 'If flying was the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.' Watch out though I found it's more addictive than golf.

You'll have to take pot luck with the weather though, hopefully we'll get decent weather soon.

I'm not sure they let you take the controls on a leisure flight, I think you need to pay more for the days training. I know I enjoyed going up in a light aircraft but that was years ago and don't remember it much now.