a little advice please

phipck

i just got a tax rebate and instead of treating myself to some toys i thought about what the winter was like last year and the hilly 25 mile drive i do every friday to see my partner, so im going to get some tyres for my daily drive.

im use to driving my mr2 and have swapped over to a phase2 xsara coupe on 195-55-15, and as ive only ever put one set of toyo T1r's on the MR2 my experience on tyres is extremely limited....

the consideration im having issues with is whether to get 4 winter tyres now knowing how bad it got last year, instead of all season/summer tyres.

whats the advice on winter tyres (brands etc) if i went down that avenue

any help greatfully recieved :)

Dedicated winter tyres operate at a much lower temp than all-season tyres making them more efficient in snow. Brands depends on your needs, if you just want to get out of trouble then a budget winter is fine, if you want high mobility then a premium brand like Dunlop 3D is about the best you can get.

Dedicated winter tyres operate at a much lower temp than all-season tyres making them more efficient in snow. Brands depends on your needs, if you just want to get out of trouble then a budget winter is fine, if you want high mobility then a premium brand like Dunlop 3D is about the best you can get.

Cannot complain about those Pirelli Sottozeros that you put on my spare set of rims for the IS200 Sport. The IS200 has a reputation for being undrivable on snow & ice but the winter tyres allowed me last winter to drive past a Landrover Freelander that was stuck on snow and ice on one of the more notorious hills around here (he was obviously on all weather/summer compound and 4x4 wasn't a lot of help in that case).

thank you Tony, would general driving on winter tyres outside of the coldest frostiest weeks will be ok? i mean should i make any driving considerations for weeks like this one where weather has been better than the summer?

ok so i suppose my next question would be what can i do through you guys, i dont see winter as an option on BlackBoots site and unfortunalty the nearest WIM tyre place is Gloucester and im 30 miles away in Hereford :)

might have to look more local :(

the xsara takes an akward size tyre 195/55/15 so most people opt for a 50 profile, which is both more readily avilable and cheaper than the 55 so ive gone down that avenue. Everyone reports their speedo reading different after but the funny thing in this case is that they all say its more accurate to gps after changing in profile :D

i understand the importance of side wall etc and of course theres going to be a slightly bigger arch gap but to me, if the speedo is accurate and the alignment is correct and all is within tollerence it should be a better job all in all than the oem situation :D