Sun in the garden

Sagitar

We've not had a lot of butterflies this year, but the sun seemed to bring out one or two today.

I was busy hedge-clipping, but I stopped to get my camera when I saw this Comma on the Sedum.

20110915Comma.jpg

and while I was at it, could not resist snapping the Californian Poppy. They have been flowering all summer and today's sun seemed to perk up the few remaining.

20110915Escholzia.jpg

must be hard work!

I would say awkward rather than hard. The ladder is a lightweight aluminium job that I can carry in one hand, but it can be a pig to manoeuvre between the shrubs and trees when it is extended. Standing at the top of it looks precarious, but it has a plank across the top that buries into the hedge when I put my weight on the ladder and locks everything in place and it's very secure.

The trimmer is a Kawasaki job that starts first time, only weighs 6 kg and is nicely balanced.

Unlike commercial hedge trimmers, I have no need to rush so when the petrol runs out I stop and carry on next day. It takes four fills to do the whole hedge, so if the weather is OK I get it finished in a week.

A fit young bloke would easily do it in a day . . . . . . ;)