Wheel Spacers

Funky

As above really.

Talking to the guy in local spray shop thats gonna re-finish my wheels, he was on about wheels spacers for my MX5.

Said its a shame the wheels are tucked away.

Is this just a looks thing or can you gain from the wider track, i understand these can cause stress on bearings ect. Does it also upset geo and stuff?

i dont see any problem with small spacers.

I used to run 15mm (per side) on the rear of my old car to make it more stable through higher speed corners.

We also ran spacers on our track car which saw its fair share of abuse and we never had any problems.

If you do buy spacers, dont buy cheap tat though. make sure they are a good quality aluminium, and make all nut's / bolts that you use are specced properly.

Fine for the rear, can-O-worms for the front. Project a line down through the angle of the lower ball joint pin and the angle of the camber, the projected point at the road is the scrub radius, this is where all the steering actions take place. Changing wheel off-sets or spacers moves the contact patch away from the SR, in this event the handling can be dire.

Ah thanks guys was really only thinking of the looks.

So unless you really have a need for spacers, like clearance for big brakes and stuff, or a stability reason as adam_r said, best to leave well alone. That all makes sense.

Also would adding spacers to just the rear make it handle like a Go-kart :whistle:

Ah thanks guys was really only thinking of the looks.

So unless you really have a need for spacers, like clearance for big brakes and stuff, or a stability reason as adam_r said, best to leave well alone. That all makes sense.

Also would adding spacers to just the rear make it handle like a Go-kart :whistle:

The handling can be recovered but it could be sacrificial to the tyres.

oh yea, the MR2 boys love their spacers on these kits.

I cant even begin to think on how much excess load this is putting on other parts of the suspension!

In the name of all that is sane, I did not realise. I saw a comment on PH a couple of days ago saying they fit 7" spacers - I thought it was a typo or an exaggeration!

Apparently not ... :o :o :o