Interesting Tyre Wear

BuyPirelli

I was getting some very weird noises, vibrations and general weirdness from my car and was pretty certain it was the rear tyres. Replaced them today with PS3's and jobs a goodun'.

Keep in mind the following;

*These tyres were fitted at the same time and have done 45,000

*Passenger side shows 2mm evenly, drivers side shows just under 4mm evenly - so both are legal

First, lets observe a relatively new, 3000 mile old Asymmetric - note the tread pattern across the entire tyre;

originala.jpg

Now, lets look at my old tyre with 2mm tread;

passenger.jpg

Notice how there is a distinct lack of centre and right three quarters tread. Keep in mind this tyre is still legla, but I'd wager it'll have lost a great deal of its performance. Zooming in, we can see its cracked in some places and is even completely smooth!

passengerbald.jpg

passengercracks.jpg

Finally, lets compare to the tyre on the opposite side of the exactly that has done exactly the same mileage in the same conditions. Notice how it has double the tread dept, but still pretty bald!

driversr.jpg

So, what do we think? Previous tyres I have replaced have never looked so different compared to a new example. Admittedly the performance was still there but there must have been a reduction in wet weather grip and the feedback characteristics would obviously have been different. The real issue I had was that at certain speeds, they'd rumble so bad the car would start to shake and the accoustic frequencies made my interior rattle!

and of course, my alloys got the obligatory tyre massacring by incompetent clowns.

raped.jpg

Yes, like a completely and utterly shagged wheel bearing.

The PS3's have solved this, the car is much quieter and smoother, however there is still some weird noise, I think its a characteristic of the Asymmetrics on the front of the car (though its not of any real concern).

Anyhow, is the fact that tyres become more noiser when they wear out common?

Sipes ( eventually i will find the spelling ) act to control the tyres grip saturation limits, as the coefficient's increase the sipes close. Obviously most grip limit control would be on the outside of the tyre so i feel it's for this reason the cuts are not so deep.

A case did go to court regarding this and was thrown out simply because the sipes do not go down to the legal limit, so the bald band of tyre is deemed as "morphing" tyre wear.

Regarding plod and the law on tyres, they know nothing :lol: ........ During roadside awareness campaigns we are asked to assist the Police on the legality status of the drivers tyres.

At first when I saw the photos I was thinking overinflated tyres, but obviously not as Tony has said there's a problem with these. I would hate to be on those in the wet though!! :lol:

If they were overinflated then there would be no centre tread. In this case, the deep channels have a consistent depth from left to right proving they have been inflated correct for their entire life :rolleyes:

What other tyres DONT lose tread pattern when they wear? Toyo T1-R's spring to mind.

• 2 weeks later...
Checked my tyres and mine don't look like that, so is it a problem with the tyre or can that just happen?

How much tread is on them? As said this isn't my first set so I know how they wear,, they've all been trhe same

I actually need to replace them but haven't got round to it yet, they're down to about 2.5mm.

Sorry I was talking rubbish earlier, I was just focussing on the band running down the tyre which is still there on mine, but looking more closely all the cross treads have gone. Now I'm assuming they're shallower to optimise water dispersion, but what that also means is that the tyre really needs replacing when these treads are gone? Comparing my fronts and rears, it might explain why the front feels absolutely planted and the rear feels like I'm on ice half the time............

Right rear

395516426.jpg

Left rear

395516430.jpg

Right front

395516660.jpg

Nice one. Yeah same with mine albeit it with more tread. Tbh I didn't notice any loss in handling, but very difficult to test obviously.

This has actually made me think I need to get the tyres changed with more urgency than I've currently expressed - how are you getting on with the PS3s? How do they compare to the F1As when they were new?