Drift set-up and the road

Tony

A shining star within the Drift fraternity needs the daily drive set more toward the Drift position since this will be the main target for the track days.... But we now have a problem?

1: If we set the car to a realistic Drift set-up then on the road this could be a killer... Totally unstable..

2: If we set the car in-between then the Drift results could be pants.

Obvious concern is for our little star, but should we deliver the full Monty knowing this is not safe for the road or down grade the positions despite the customers request? ;)

A shining star within the Drift fraternity needs the daily drive set more toward the Drift position since this will be the main target for the track days.... But we now have a problem?

1: If we set the car to a realistic Drift set-up then on the road this could be a killer... Totally unstable..

2: If we set the car in-between then the Drift results could be pants.

Obvious concern is for our little star, but should we deliver the full Monty knowing this is not safe for the road or down grade the positions despite the customers request? ;)

I believe that as an industry professional you should take the responsible view and decline the offer. Regardless of the request, you still have a duty of care to your client and other road users. A half decent Barrister would rip you to shreds if it all went horribly wrong

Looks like shining star needs a dedicated track car or track side support to change the settings between and road and drift.

My thoughts exactly tdi.. Obviously we know that a Drift set-up for the road would be ridiculous so i was tempted to enable some small elements into the car for the Drift days, but this still worries me since the control is dependant on the drivers skill and i don't know how skillful the driver is!....

All modified set-ups designed for the modified car support an element of responsibility, for the lesser class a disclaimer should suffice but in this case i have to agree and decline the set-up on the ground of professional responsibility since we would knowingly set the car in a dangerous position for the road.

I also know next year the owner will have a dedicated Drift car, but this knowledge does not dilute the current request.

Fair play to you Tony ;)

I have been in this situation many times before. People often come to TDi with their dreams or a wish list, and sometimes we have to suggest an alternative methodology if there are flaws in the plan.

If there are genuine reasons for the suggested alternatives, the owner will appreciate the sound advice sooner or later.

One of my dreams is to own a yacht and sail around the Med (and before you ask - yes, all friends and good clients are welcome too :D). Sadly I don't know anything about yachts or the sea, so will be reliant on professionals to tell me if any of my ideas are rubbish.

Fair play to you Tony :lol:

I have been in this situation many times before. People often come to TDi with their dreams or a wish list, and sometimes we have to suggest an alternative methodology if there are flaws in the plan.

If there are genuine reasons for the suggested alternatives, the owner will appreciate the sound advice sooner or later.

One of my dreams is to own a yacht and sail around the Med (and before you ask - yes, all friends and good clients are welcome too ;)). Sadly I don't know anything about yachts or the sea, so will be reliant on professionals to tell me if any of my ideas are rubbish.

Off topic: Your desire sail a yacht does not surprise me Mark :D Your company delivers surgical developments enhancing existing manufacturers best intentions, your realm must be intense to the extreme.. whereas taking natures example on the sea is a challenge that cannot be beaten only agreed with, this i would also find satisfying if only to realise my position in the greater picture.

Yachting is to much hard work why not get a cruiser and do just that round the med....relaxing for everyone.

I'm hearing you Scorps and in fact spent a while salivating over this wonderous domain but I like a bit of hard work and a challenge. Learning a new skill would also be good :huh:

Off topic: Your desire sail a yacht does not surprise me Mark :blink: Your company delivers surgical developments enhancing existing manufacturers best intentions, your realm must be intense to the extreme.. whereas taking natures example on the sea is a challenge that cannot be beaten only agreed with, this i would also find satisfying if only to realise my position in the greater picture.

I was in the Sea Cadets when I was a kid, and spent some time on HM's glorious vessels including a submarine. Happy Days :). Must have a bit of a Sailor in me methinks (no jokes about the barrel with a hole please :rolleyes: )

Yachting is to much hard work why not get a cruiser and do just that round the med....relaxing for everyone.

I'm hearing you Scorps and in fact spent a while salivating over this wonderous domain but I like a bit of hard work and a challenge. Learning a new skill would also be good :)

Off topic: Your desire sail a yacht does not surprise me Mark :blink: Your company delivers surgical developments enhancing existing manufacturers best intentions, your realm must be intense to the extreme.. whereas taking natures example on the sea is a challenge that cannot be beaten only agreed with, this i would also find satisfying if only to realise my position in the greater picture.

I was in the Sea Cadets when I was a kid, and spent some time on HM's glorious vessels including a submarine. Happy Days :). Must have a bit of a Sailor in me methinks (no jokes about the barrel with a hole please :rolleyes: )

The 'Wondrous domain' seems surreal without a silver spoon.... A wise man would capture the art of metal detecting in the hope a big nugget is underfoot....As for the historic hole in the barrel? this depends on where and what height the holes are :huh:

need to find out the full usage requirements of the car really, before i can make comment

Must have a bit of a Sailor in me methinks

:D ......i hope he was gentle

did you like the sea cadets, was it all the seamen, or the big guns that attracted you

• 3 weeks later...
Not a drift set-up for the rd. :thumbsup_anim:

Not entirely... more a transition from 'safe fast track' to conservative 'mild Drift', Remembering the car is also a daily drive..

wim has an obvious duty to deliver expectations.... Example: A massive development in engine BHP would exceed the speed limit if used on the road but nevertheless still reasonable to install as requested. wim's chassis developments follows a similar path and assumes the developments (in full) are intended for the track. So long as the driver is part of the expectations and agrees the evolution then fine.

• 5 months later...

Interesting predicament. Personally I think you should give/advise the customer what he asks for! If the customer is good enough to be entering a EDC round or drift event, then he has obviously progressed his driving ability enough to be able to handle the car well in various forms.

I know our roads are utterly s***e compared to most of Europe and Japan (where touge drivers have their daily drivers as agressive as you like), and that it could be potentially dangerous, but as a driver I would be annoyed if I took my car to be professionally aligned, then told that the setup was too rediculous for the road! Agree with Tony about the customer having an understanding of how his car will handle, and that it may be a monster in the wet!

If some randomer or me had rolled into WIM and demanded such a setup, I could fully understand Tony telling me to foxtrot oscar though :D

It's a balance between commercial responsibility and customer service. The car (Mazda MX5) was being transformed from fast/track to Drift.

Despite the fact janey is a well versed track driver the instability in a Drift set-up was concerning me to say the least. I must add though she shrugged it off and is doing well with the set-up :D