Runflats & insurance

Viking

A friend has a BMW 1 Series which came with runflats, and he's bought 4 new non runflats online to replace them as "They're much cheaper!" Went to have them fitted and his first few places refused, saying they needed written authority from the insurance company first. Having spoken to the insurers they actually have no issue with this, and are sending him a letter.

Anyway, that aside the question has arisen about whether the standard tyres will actually fit on the runflat wheels without any issues or not.

Is there any reason why they shouldn't be fitted (wheel design specific to runflats etc.) or are the wheels just the same for either tyre type?

Cheers in advance.

The wheels are exactly the same other than a small change at the area the tyre bead meets the wheel.

It's not illegal or an MOT fail to change to non-RFT, so the tyre centres who refused to fit them had no right unless there's a misguided internal policy.

The insurance company should be informed and since the only lose is the ability to drive on the tyre flat a non-rft car offeres no more risk, same could be said, if i fit RFT's to my car will the insurance go down?......... i think not.

I wonder if the insurance companies would view it as a modification?

h

The blokes insurance company (Direct Line) actually didn't know the difference between the two. The woman he spoke to on the phone asked two others and they all seemed to just shrug their shoulders and "Dunno!" In the end they sent him a letter saying it was okay and didn't affect the policy, and no increase in premium.

I wonder if the insurance companies would view it as a modification?

h

The blokes insurance company (Direct Line) actually didn't know the difference between the two. The woman he spoke to on the phone asked two others and they all seemed to just shrug their shoulders and "Dunno!" In the end they sent him a letter saying it was okay and didn't affect the policy, and no increase in premium.

Good job really cos without that letter they would probably void the insurance if they spotted it doesn't have runflats if a claim was ever made!

It seems that most insurance companies have no issue at all. I've had dealings with a couple, including Direct Line, and they certainly want notification, as they do for fitting winter tyres, but appear more interested in the rims you use. In other words, are they OEM, or some 'aftermarket' modification?

What many have found, as long as you are using tyres to the BMW recommended load/speed rating, or above, there are no issues.

Fitting on the OEM rims is fine, as Tony has commented, even BMW have fitted non run-flats to satisfy customer complaints about RFTs. I discussed it with one dealer and he even checked with a customer, as to what tyres he was using on his 3-series, and his comments on the changes. The garage just reminded me to consider the options for an emergency, like space saver, mobility kit, etc.

The industry has published and distributed scare type documents about changing from RFTs, from what I understand. Many are nervous about fitting non run-flats since that exposure. Tony may have seen them, one is published by TyreSafe.

HighlandPete

Remember reading it when you first posted it Tony, has to be BMW's stance.

I'm more thinking on the lines of this sort of comment.

http://www.tyresafe.org/news-and-events/de...standard-tyres/

There were others at the time and tyre shops have used those comments to refuse to fit non run-flats on customers cars with OEM run-flat fitment. Yes refused to fit non run-flats, other users have been asked to sign a waiver document.

HighlandPete