Horror of the week 09/11/10

Tony

There's certain areas of a cars construction that has known historic high levels of wear, some of this advanced wear is due to owner ignorance but nevertheless if the wear is historic "make it better".

How would it read if a particular make of car has total brake failure, or "historically" the steering wheel comes off!! I think this level of failure would generate some attention......

This failure is the bushing detaching from it's wishbone housing

post-2-1289334983.jpg

It's not just a little bit out, it's all the way out. Could it be said that between a service and MOT interval the bushing was ok? Could it also be said "where's the redundancy", how can such a vital steering component be able to fail so terminally.

As said this "area" of failure is common and i think we can all agree in the 21st century car manufacturers can do better.

I knew it was a Ford!! Can you tell how old the bush is, wouldn't that happened over time as the rubber perishes anyway?

Also the bolt looks inverted!! :lol:

Bushing is not perished and it's inverted because the wheels are off the ground. Can you see my point though, how can this type of failure be accepted as "fair wear and tear" to the motoring community. It's a potentially catastrophic failure at an important steering pick up point.

It's pants.

It's probably a cheap pattern part so they never last long, maybe the industry needs more regulation?

As said, what it it were total brake failure? Does it need to be this serious before attention is generated.

Is that car still driveable? If so then this is the fault of the MOT - I imagine someone who let their car get like that doesn't pay much attention to servicing - the MOT needs to be a lot stricter.

See so many cars on the road with violently wobbling wheels and other similar issues, how on earth they're still on the road I have no idea because that sort of thing surely can't happen overnight.