Gearbox oil change

I've had the car for 5 years now and not changed it once! ;) First and second gear is becoming difficult to select sometimes when the car is cold so I think it needs a change. Would this be a ramp only job as you'd need the car level so no good doing it on axle stands? I know to undo the refill nut before the drain one in case you can't undo it ;)

Have you checked it's got a drain plug as some don't. You really need to drain it level and check after fill when it's level. Ramp would be easiest - don't you live near Chesham as I heard there may be one over there ;)

i changed the GB oil on my accord earlier this year. Very simple to do if your ok with working on your engine.

Look in the haynes manual to locate filler cap on top of the GB

Then find the GB oil drain plug

Undo filler cap, then undo drain plug. (leave to drain)

I then put .5 litre of GB oil through the filler cap and let it drain (acting as a flush)

Locate 'inspection' bolt, this is normally an inch or two above the bottom of the GB, ( mine was near the NS drive shaft )

Fit oil drain plug back in to GB.

Undo 'inspection' bolt / plug.

fill GB with reccomended GB oil until the oil is comming out of the 'inspection' hole.

wait for oil to stop comming out of the hole then refit plug / bolt

re-fit oil filler cap.

job done ;)

the above is what i did on my accord, and have done on several civics etc. im pretty sure ford will have the same set up.

HTH

I know WIM are only up the road but my car is always on the ramp there and I don't like to take the **** too much!

Thanks for the reply Adam, I had to top up the oil on the pug when I changed the cv boots as the driveshafts weren't locked in so I lost abit. That was difficult enough and it's on stilts compared to mine. I think I might have to take the wheel off but keep it on the jack so it's level. I should be able to access the plugs then, hopefully... ;)