Spinning off at Silverstone!

Jap Devil

First lap after the parade lap, I was second with an ST24 Mondeo in front of me......I wellied it past him on the Pits Straight @ 120mph but ended up with a bad line into Copse Corner :)

Result....

Track was wet on the outside of the corner, I felt the back end throw a wobbly, overcorrected and then went spinning off onto the run off area which was fortunately tarmac rather than grass of gravel <_<

And on the second lap....I did exactly the same thing again :lol:

Dave Ellen took the vid

Mike's Spin

Thing is do you feel you know why it happened...... we know the car is undergoing heavy modifications, this takes time to learn on the track.. And the conditions invited over-steer. Corner 'in' after the straight is the hardest to handle for anyone.

You think you'd learn after your first spin there mike! :D

It had dried out a lot by the time I got on track at lunchtime, and mine was completly my fault! I thought i'd try and get a bit of drift practice whilst out on the track :lol:

Needless to say, I need more practise :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I've done a few track days and the best way is to start off slow and build up to a good lap, take an instructor out with you at every new track you visit. I've spun at a few in the TVR and very nearly made a big mess of it at Castle Combe due to a Cossie boiling over and dumping its coolant midway through one of the back faster corners.

I've done a few track days and the best way is to start off slow and build up to a good lap, take an instructor out with you at every new track you visit. I've spun at a few in the TVR and very nearly made a big mess of it at Castle Combe due to a Cossie boiling over and dumping its coolant midway through one of the back faster corners.

I am desperate to ask, what set-up do you have for the car :lol:

Ok I had the car set up by a company called Topcats racing who set up a lot of race Tuscan's etc. They use the old fashioned method of string boxing the car but with very good results and also corner weighted as well.

The car is running Redline shocks with Nitron springs, but I can't remember the spring rates, I have a feeling they are 325 and 400 lb though.

Front

Camber 1.75

toe in 5

tyre pressure 22

ride height 140mm

shock set 15 clicks from fully hard

Rear

camber 1

Toe in 2

tyre pressure 22

ride height 200mm

shock set 15 clicks from hard

weight 2395 Lbs 1088 Kilo wet weight with 3/4 tank fuel.

The shocks were adjusted at Brands Hatch track day to slightly stiffer at the rear.

Topcats added extra camber to help with the understeer and also altered the rear alignment as the rear Toe was all on one wheel. they added extra toe as they old set up would grip very well but when it broke away was very hard to catch, the new set up gives less overall grip but a much more progressive feel. the only down side to the set up is the large amount of camber causes tram lining or badly rutted roads but it is worth it as I can throw it into a corner and such greater speeds now.

I don't pertend to understand much about geometry so if anything I said there is wrong I must have got it mixed up :D

Ok I had the car set up by a company called Topcats racing who set up a lot of race Tuscan's etc. They use the old fashioned method of string boxing the car but with very good results and also corner weighted as well.

The car is running Redline shocks with Nitron springs, but I can't remember the spring rates, I have a feeling they are 325 and 400 lb though.

Front

Camber 1.75

toe in 5

tyre pressure 22

ride height 140mm

shock set 15 clicks from fully hard

Rear

camber 1

Toe in 2

tyre pressure 22

ride height 200mm

shock set 15 clicks from hard

weight 2395 Lbs 1088 Kilo wet weight with 3/4 tank fuel.

The shocks were adjusted at Brands Hatch track day to slightly stiffer at the rear.

Topcats added extra camber to help with the understeer and also altered the rear alignment as the rear Toe was all on one wheel. they added extra toe as they old set up would grip very well but when it broke away was very hard to catch, the new set up gives less overall grip but a much more progressive feel. the only down side to the set up is the large amount of camber causes tram lining or badly rutted roads but it is worth it as I can throw it into a corner and such greater speeds now.

I don't pertend to understand much about geometry so if anything I said there is wrong I must have got it mixed up :D

What you have displayed makes perfect sense, thank you for sharing that... Me being a crafty devil wonders if you also have the data for the KPI and Castor positions... this would complete the overall image and not an unreasonable request :D .... And Paul in time you will be a Geometry master, so says us all :D Tiss the wim way.

What you have displayed makes perfect sense, thank you for sharing that... Me being a crafty devil wonders if you also have the data for the KPI and Castor positions... this would complete the overall image and not an unreasonable request :D .... And Paul in time you will be a Geometry master, so says us all :lol: Tiss the wim way.

I don't have the caster or KPI on my spec sheet. this is a hand written sheet due to using the oldie ways of string boxing the car. no new fangeldangle laser equipment in the workshop. although the corner weights and linking the the palm was quite nifty. Guess they use what works for them.

What you have displayed makes perfect sense, thank you for sharing that... Me being a crafty devil wonders if you also have the data for the KPI and Castor positions... this would complete the overall image and not an unreasonable request :D .... And Paul in time you will be a Geometry master, so says us all :lol: Tiss the wim way.

I don't have the caster or KPI on my spec sheet. this is a hand written sheet due to using the oldie ways of string boxing the car. no new fangeldangle laser equipment in the workshop. although the corner weights and linking the the palm was quite nifty. Guess they use what works for them.

In truth i really admire the old school way... This is real metal Geometry combining the work from a mechanical engineer and a technician...... Although for anyone contemplating using TVR on the track we do really need to establish a steady footprint!

In truth i really admire the old school way... This is real metal Geometry combining the work from a mechanical engineer and a technician...... Although for anyone contemplating using TVR on the track we do really need to establish a steady footprint!

Well as said with that set up I couldn't believe how it handled at Brands, they use the same method with their Tuscan race car and having seen that put in a very impressive run at a 12 hour race there a month before I was quite confident they knew what they were doing. http://www.topcatsracing.com/ are they people who did the work.

Once the track work resumes I'll look into fine tuning if it needs it, at the moment I think the car is much more capable than I am though lol

Not sure if it helps but I have a few pictures of it on the track, not sure if I can add them here though?

• 1 month later...

i wouldnt feel too bad :rolleyes:

zee from LOC

and janey

both span out at silverstone :lol:

mind you they only did it the one time !

nearly forgot

.......and nick :wub:

forgot to ask...

Was Zee last year then?

Yep, both Zee & I were 2005 spins :o

i wouldnt feel too bad :lol:

zee from LOC

and janey

both span out at silverstone :wub:

nearly forgot

.......and nick :o

forgot to ask...

Was Zee last year then?

Yep, both Zee & I were 2005 spins :D

This was pre-wim i hope :rolleyes:

i wouldnt feel too bad :wub:

zee from LOC

and janey

both span out at silverstone :o

nearly forgot

.......and nick :D

forgot to ask...

Was Zee last year then?

Yep, both Zee & I were 2005 spins :D

This was pre-wim i hope :rolleyes:

certainly was

it was actually the same week janey had picked her car up

nothing better than a track session to get to know your car :lol:

Exactly Tony, i span 3 times on silverstone national, though i was never stupid enough to spin at copse :(

I span trying to drift round luffield on totally shot rears a few times then once on maggots corner the next lap as the rears had literally gone to jelly. I came in a lap later after a slow COOLINGDOWN lap and they read nearly 100c, too hot to touch!

Exactly Tony, i span 3 times on silverstone national, though i was never stupid enough to spin at copse :(

I span trying to drift round luffield on totally shot rears a few times then once on maggots corner the next lap as the rears had literally gone to jelly. I came in a lap later after a slow COOLINGDOWN lap and they read nearly 100c, too hot to touch!

The Indexing/ Geometry and tyre temperatures should make for interesting analysis (albeit secrete) ready for next years season...