P38 Range Rover, steering all over the place over bumps. help please...

Ahoy! Hello all, am posting this here on behalf of the other half (into whose car my little eunos would probably fit!). Although i am enjoying the smug feeling that i've got as a result of a Tony's miracle working capabilities on my car, I very much hope that you can help out with this little problem on boyf's car... here is what the prob is (in his words):

I have a 1996 P38 Mk2 Range Rover (permanent 4 wheel drive) that has some suspension/ alignment issues that i can't quite get my head around and was hoping somebody here might be able to help.

When driving over bumpy ground the steering is tricky to keep hold of and it feels as if the whole car is wandering over the road, making it difficult to keep on track.

When i first got it, i thought it was just down to me not being used to the car, but it hasn't gone away.

even though it's got slightly larger alloys on than original it is far worse than i would have expected.

I have replaced the steering damper to little effect.

I have had the front radius arm bushes replaced which has improved things but not enough.

Tracking is spot on and the tyres properly inflated

There appears to be little to no play when stationary in the steering or at very slow speeds. However, once at a reasonable speed (~25mph and greater), hitting bumps results in having to correct for changes in direction of the whole car. quite a feat for a 2 tonne car. [edit by g/friend - it really is very very squirrelly, not in the least bit planted]

The suspension is air damped and controlled under a separate compressor arrangement. it raises and sits at the correct height with no real issues, and can adjusted using teh controls with no issues.

I'm at a loss as to what is wrong.

anybody had a P38 range rover with simialr problems know how to fix them? Or any ideas..?

all help gratefully received.

Cheers all, Beans.. x

Hello Beans, it's been a while :crying_anim:

1: The wheels, do you know if the off-set is different from the originals?

2: Was just the tracking measured or the full Geometry, if full can i see the data.

3: With the suspension set low how does it drive then.

Hello Beans, it's been a while :crying_anim:

1: The wheels, do you know if the off-set is different from the originals?

2: Was just the tracking measured or the full Geometry, if full can i see the data.

3: With the suspension set low how does it drive then.

Tony!!! B)

a while indeed... and yet you're as swift as ever, thank you!

herewith boyf's response:

Don't think the offset is affected. will check, bu they're genuine Land-rover ones that convinently fit a p38 without any other mods, and the sizes (255/55/19) are as per an optional upgrade size on the original spec (according to the workshop manual anyway)

just the tracking rather than full set.

I also had considered that the rear suspension bushes needed replacing as well, but not sure if that would solve it on it's own?

With suspension lower, driving is everso everso slightly better, but by no means significant enough to consider it an improvement.

.... x (that's from me, not him!)

A full geometric image is a must before you go further and obviously the bushings need checking.

Have a look at these on the rear of a BMW

Please wait a few moments for Video to Load!

Thank you - all looks like the likely culprit..

can this be checked by any garage or will they try and weasle out of it and make sucky teeth noises? if this is the cause how much to fix? and if not, any other ideas? how easy to diagnose remotely? and can the man get the haines manual out and have a play - could he seld diagnose? thanks again for all your help :crying_anim:, Beans is about ready for another alignment - how's your calendar looking? xx

The bushings need a visual check and checking under load, this is done on a ramp with the car in gear, brakes on then engage the drive, any play will become visible. Due to the complaint if it's a bushing it will be very visible. Regarding cost it depends on the bushing?

As for my calendar, very busy at the mo so give me loads of notice.