Changing inner CV boot

I'm going to change the split one tomorrow but what's the best/quickest way of doing it. I've worked out 2 ways of doing it:

1. Remove drop link from the strut, pop ball joint from the hub, undo the strut nut to drop it slightly and then hope I have enough room to pull the end of the shaft out of the housing. I'm getting stretchy boots so I'm hoping I can get it over the end without using the cone tool.

2. Undo hub nut, remove drop link, pop ball joint and knock the cv joint/shaft out of the hub so I can remove it to work on. Only problem with this is the hub nut has to be torqued to 230Nm and there's no way I can do it back up again. I don't have a pole to put on the end of my breaker bar either.

Which way I do it will mean lowered the strut abit or at least pulling it out of the way so will I need the geo checked afterwards?

I would suggest....

1: Remove link if you want

2: Remove hub nut

3: Disconnect ball joint

4: Cut ties on inner cv boot

5: Remove shaft leaving inner joint in situe

Fit new boot..... And the geo should be fine.

I know that's the better way of doing it cos if I undid everything and then decided to remove the hub nut I'd be buggered. You need the weight of the car on wheels to undo it with a breaker bar, wish I had an airgun at times like these!

Even if I do it this way I still need to drop the strut abit so I can pull it with the hub towards me to get the shaft out. This is why I'm concerned about it affecting the camber settings.

The inner joint stays in the gearbox, only the shaft with the 3 bearings on it comes out, which is why I was hoping I could do it this way. I have a photo of what I mean in my wishbone guide I will dig it out.

This is the boot that needs changing, the bearings are held on with a circlip so once that's off you can slide the boot over. But as I'm using stretchy ones I'm hoping it will go over without taking it off. Only problem I may have is not being able to pull it out enough or having much space :rolleyes:

pic21.jpg

Stick the boot in the microwave for 30sec, it will be like butter after.

Won't that damage the rubber?

I'm not sure what to do, I think I might just remove the hub nut and take the whole driveshaft out it will probably be easier and if I can't fit it the other way I will be pretty :) !!! My torque wrench goes up to 210Nm and the nut is 290Nm...if I can't get it any tighter could I run over to you and whizz them up with the air gun?

If I do it the other way this is what I need to get the boot over, the bit on the right without the bearings. It's just the lack of room that's concerning me.

29112009358.jpg

Nope it just softens the rubber, and why are you sooooooo concerned about the torque, just do it up FT, job done :)

Cos these nuts are prone to coming undone that's why I don't really wanna touch them. I had no end of aggro with them coming undone when I first got the car, even doing them FT didn't help...you did them up at STS for me once with the air gun and they still came undone! <_>

Defective car mate :) ...... FT is FT in the mechanics world, slap a bit of thread lock on if your worried.

That's what I did last time after buying new nuts...7 quid each FFS!! <_>

Your middle names aren't "Wile E Coyote" are they because i have never known someone to be so unlucky with things like this.

<_ i just use lots of locktite....tbh it common problems with the mondeo suspension top nuts like coming undone as well src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)">

Done one side...went to allparts this morning for both the inner boots. Got home and stripped everything only to find a pin hole in the outer one as well, that's only happened in the last couple of weeks! :closedeyes:

The hub nut I guess was done up to 50Nm not 290Nm, that's how much it had come undone by :angry2: I undid it with one hand and no effort at all!

Will keep an eye on the boots over the next couple of days and then do the other side in a couple of weeks.

Also did a guide for my fellow MEGgers - Link to guide :(

• 2 weeks later...

Did the inner boot on the other side at the weekend and I noticed grease is leaking from the other one I replaced. The boots fit on but weren't a tight fit, I didn't want to trim them in case it made it too short. I've cleaned it up and put 2 cable ties on now but it was escaping from where the recess is on the housing. If it carries on I might have to get you to take a look see if anything can be done to stop it :o

My steering wheel is at an angle now as well and I have to hold it to the right to keep it straight :D think when I pulled the strut round to get the shaft out the camber kit moved as well! :lol:

Oh well i'll have to set her again then weld the poxy adjusters in place.

It was ok until I started working on the car...nothing else should need doing for a while now! :lol: