hi.

apart from warped/high spots on brake discs, is there anything else that can cause brake judder, the kind that makes the steering wheel vibrate? my 1300gt seems to have developed this problem for no particular reason. ive fitted new discs and pads, but to my dismay, the problem still exists.

it only seems to happen with firm braking at high speed - light braking at high speed and hard braking at lower speeds dont cause a problem.

regards.

when i changed the discs and pads i worked the brake pistons in and out several times to make sure they werent sticking. they seemed to be fine.

the ironic thing is, the car was probably on its original brake discs (35+years?) until i changed them recently. i never had a problem until recently, when the brake judder just seemed to start one day. i'm racking my brains trying to think of all the things ive replaced on the car recently (front hub bearings, brake servo, alloy wheels) that could be responsible.

If your front hub flange is distored this could transfer through to the discs and cause a vibration (e.g this is common on the lexus is200), also the compliance bush on either of the lower arms can cause a problem if worn. It will need the suspension checked and if no fault is found, a disc run out tool will check if the hub is warped.

If your front bearings have been changed theres a possibility the hub may have been bent while pressing them out!

Hope that helps!

yeah. thanks for that. i can see this is going to turn into a nightmare now. and i am a fool for not keeping a diary of the jobs i do on my cars and when i first notice problems like this starting. if i had done, i might at least have a chance of linking the two together.

• 8 months later...

Well, it appears that the cause of my brake judder was actually my "new" alloy wheels. Making too many changes at the same time, I hadn't realised that the problem had started after I'd fitted the Dunlop D1s. Having investigated the usual causes, I was trawling the net looking for people with the same issue, and found one other person who had found new wheels to be the culprit.

As an experiment, I put the old steelies back on and, lo and behold, no more brake judder! Now, these old alloy wheels were a pain to balance, but I thought I'd cracked it after two attempts - at least I'd got rid of any noticeable vibration when driving at speed, but I guess something is still wrong...

I have to say, I hadn't heard of this particular issue before.

I think I will be forced to give up with the wheels - balancing them seems to be impossible. I could take them to 10 different garages and they would all say the last place did them wrong.

I'm now more interested in how the apparent imbalance only manifests itself under heavy high speed braking, with a result that is more like brake judder than brake judder itself.