The Hornet - Mallory Park 29th Nov

hms

Another occcasional update on the Hornet's outings.

I took the Hornet to Mallory Park yesterday on a Javelin Motorsports track day.

Had a great day.

First off the modifications.

The Hornet now has 888's, a full track tyre which are road legal. The brakes have been upgraded to the 1.8 disks and EBC yellow stuff (iirc) pads.

It was wet and raining until about 09.30 when the track time started, luckily, a hood, a helmet, me and the seat do not all fit!

The first hour or so was red flags every two or three laps as people went on excursions off track.

A dry line started to appear and the brave trousers went on!

The 888's were confidence inspiring, I had upped the pressures by 4 psi, and left the suspension untouched.

The Hornet handled superbly, very neutral, in that I never had to think about the tyres, no surprises, no over/understeer. It went, without complaint, where you pointed it! (Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough!) The only time you felt something was in the esses when you went over some mud on the track from an off, the steering went light.

I was leaving Craners at 75+ and at 80 by the time I was on the straight.

I was probably the slowest on track, but on corners I was constantly having to come off the throttle as I was catching the car in front up.

There were a few off's during the day, a Caterham and a couple of lo-costs suffered damage, with a further few offs onto the grass.

A really great day.

h

how did you find the yellow stuffs ?

effectiveness when cold

any fade noticed

I have just swapped over to them and cant decide if i like them yet !

on short sprints they dont seem to get enough heat into them, might keep them for the longer sprints

I've got some boring in car I'll try and post. Took no stills but there was a photographer there, should be able to find them here when they're posted:

http://javelintrackdays.co.uk/jt/index.php...y2&Itemid=3

The yellow stuff, at least iirc they were yellow stuff, they required a little heat in them to get working, the first time you braked you had to allow time for them to come in, but second time onwards they worked really well, no fade, didn't glaze like the EBC black stuff we have been using.

I'm happy with them for track, but not sure if I'd use them on Lexie, my daily driver.

h