Settings for a Fiat 131 Abarth ?

Tristan

Hi all , I do a fair bit with retro cars , including 3 Fiat 131 Abarths . These have 15in wheels (195/50 15s), independant rear suspension , with adjustable toe front and rear , with Macpherson struts all round . Just wondering if anyone can suggest settings for fast road/trackday use ? Grip and stability is more important that tyre wear . I have to do my mates one very soon as it's way off , it's actually crabbing!

Thanks in advance!

not really Tony without slotting holes etc . That said , I wouldn't mind doing that so much if it really needs it . The struts are bolted on with 2 12mm bolts , like a Mk2 Golf front leg . Slotting of the top mount isn't too difficult on top , but access is very dificult on the rear . Dad rallies one , on proper competition tyres , the other ones are fun road cars .

rallyEifel09.jpg

There's good news.... If the fronts are twin pinch bolt (strut to hub) then you can fit EZ adjusters for camber manipulation>

post-2-1256760865.jpg

post-2-1256760890.jpg

Obviously the rear is a live axle so pretty much a done deal but by manipulating a front camber you can gain significant steer advantages.

Actually , no the rear is NOT live axle . The ordinary 131s were , but the Abarths were all independant , semi trailing arm with CV joints each end of the half shafts .

Sounds similar to my S12 Silvia then.

S12-Rear.jpg

I'd be surprised if it had McStruts allround as almost all Semi-trailing arm designs have seperate spring & dampners, as above.

Problem with the S12 is it sees siginificant negative camber when lowered. Something like -3 degrees, IIRC.

Actually , no the rear is NOT live axle . The ordinary 131s were , but the Abarths were all independant , semi trailing arm with CV joints each end of the half shafts .

I sit corrected :lol: ..... In that case EZ bolts all round then.

Sounds similar to my S12 Silvia then.

S12-Rear.jpg

Okay I could be the one wrong so , maybe not trailing arm then . Actually , it's located with a lower wishbone , a toe control link and definitely is a Mac strut . Sorry for the misinformation previous!

I sit corrected :lol: ..... In that case EZ bolts all round then.

No prob! They're bloody rare , only 400 made , so not many have likely been in the WIM workshop! lol

The front is a mac Strut , with a tension strut going forward at a shallow angle , so castor is adjustable with that .

Dad's rally car is blooming hard on front tyres , with the same compound front and rear , it seems to eat the fronts off faster than the rear . Plus the steering effort is quite high . The rack isn't very fast , and it's also new .

I reckon so . I'll get a set of current suspension settings/measurements and report back . :lol:

Probably best.... I can suggest settings once i have an idea of the SAI and castor positions.... It's pointless to play with the toe settings since their influence is so low compared to camber, SAI, castor.

Hi all , I do a fair bit with retro cars , including 3 Fiat 131 Abarths . These have 15in wheels (195/50 15s), independant rear suspension , with adjustable toe front and rear , with Macpherson struts all round . Just wondering if anyone can suggest settings for fast road/trackday use ? Grip and stability is more important that tyre wear . I have to do my mates one very soon as it's way off , it's actually crabbing!

Thanks in advance!

Woow i did not think any of these left,Had one of these, was my very 1st car :D had 2 over the eary yrs of driving, i loved the gearbox B)

Woow i did not think any of these left,Had one of these, was my very 1st car :D had 2 over the eary yrs of driving, i loved the gearbox B)

no replicas here!

Yours was an actual Abarth? 16v motor , LHD , independant rear susension?

No sorry just 131 racing with Abarth gearbox, 2ltr twin can engine :) i crashed the 1st one i had, then when the rear diff went in the 2nd one, i used the diff from the 1st one, as the scrap yard still had it in :)