Horror of the week 16/10/09

Tony

Not only are these brake pipes to long they should be behind the heat shield next to the exhaust down pipe. The heat transmitted to the brake fluid here is an absolute invitation to brake fade or even total failure.......

post-2-1255720428.jpg

post-2-1255720442.jpg

post-2-1255720456.jpg

Oh dear...... :)

No...... the owner did the install and i didn't have the heart to belittle his work, what i did do was to tuck the pipes under the shield.

You don't have to belittle someone, just point out it would be a good idea to keep them away from the exhaust for safety reasons. Up to them if they want to sort it out :)

No...... the owner did the install and i didn't have the heart to belittle his work, what i did do was to tuck the pipes under the shield.

You don't have to belittle someone, just point out it would be a good idea to keep them away from the exhaust for safety reasons. Up to them if they want to sort it out :)

You didn't see the rest of the pipework :)

You didn't see the rest of the pipework :huh:

Should've left it to the pro's then!

Indeed...... I have the distinct impression the owner was told "whatever you do don't cut them to short"...... The back end looked like a distillery :huh:

If the pipes are longer will they work as effectively or just require more fluid?

Indeed...... I have the distinct impression the owner was told "whatever you do don't cut them to short"...... The back end looked like a distillery :huh:

If the pipes are longer will they work as effectively or just require more fluid?

They would need more fluid.... I believe there's a deterioration in braking performance if the pipes are wound so it's an MOT fail.

In truth i think this is armature work done with the best intentions...... No one in the know would do this intentionally.

I have to agree but why wouldn't you follow the path of the pipes you've replaced, surely the owner must realise they take that route for a reason.

In truth i think this is armature work done with the best intentions...... No one in the know would do this intentionally.

I have to agree but why wouldn't you follow the path of the pipes you've replaced, surely the owner must realise they take that route for a reason.

Re-word that please... "we" didn't replace anything!.... Agreed he should have followed the original path :huh:

Re-word that please... "we" didn't replace anything!.... Agreed he should have followed the original path :huh:

You know I was referring to the owner not you! As if WIM would do shoddy work like that :)

Had a quick scout around, it also has to be secured every 30cm (max)

Copper when bent work hardens and becomes brittle, so he's at more danger than just boiling his fluid off!

h

Doesn't look like any of it is secured! He will have a shock MOT time :huh: