Essential Reading ?

CIH

Link don't go mate?........ Any of these books refer to modern car chassis?.... I tend to find the information very old school in most of them.

Links seem fine to me ? :)

Don't know about the specific content. I tried to find one in Waterstone's as I was thinking the same thing but they didn't have any. A couple are new/yet to be published so I'm confident they should be current.

I've bought a cheap book off ebay and that's probably mid-80s.

How much!!! :)

Uh huh, especially as I've been unable to find one to flick through, rather than rely on the sypnasis.

Both look good... Price is a mortgage though?

I thought computer books were expensive, the most I've spent on one is £35 but those are really steep! I suppose the complex subject is to blame...do they contain anything you couldn't find here or elsewhere online?

They are a wealth of knowledge in my opinion but very old school and it makes you wonder where to apply this knowledge :huh: wim-web holds sufficient information to comfort most but the latest inclusions in vehicle suspension and handling needs daily tutoring because the advances are so explosive.

I don't think they're so expensive. You should see the price of computer software for 3d graphics like Max. Even for a student licence you're talking £300 plus whatever cost of college courses (shot term courses were like £250 a few years ago).

There are ways of "finding" the software and making the varification "go away" ofcourse....... :thumbsup_anim:

I baulk at the cost of such publications mainly because I don't want them to tell me I designed my chassis wrong in the first place!

What do you mean by "old school" Tony? I assume that live axle and leaf springs have been left behind some time ago, is it just down to modern multi-link systems that introduce steer effects, or modern chassis construction that reduces deflection?

Unfortunately my suspension library contains only two books - "How to make your car handle" by Fred Puhn (which dates back to the late 70's) and Allan Staniforth's "Race and Rally Car Sourcebook", of 1980's vintage. Neither told me about Ackermann geometry or scrub radius...

I often wonder if some of these books are merely post-graduate theses with a snazzy cover. They certainly aren't written with the lay-person in mind...

Lauren

• 2 weeks later...
'think I've narrowed it down to these two;

0470510218.jpg 186058439X.jpg

I'm feeling a bit flash as I recieved our back-dated pay-rise this month so ordered the second one pictured above.

Not sure about the first as it read a bit "designy", if you know what I mean. :lol:

'think I've narrowed it down to these two;

0470510218.jpg 186058439X.jpg

I'm feeling a bit flash as I recieved our back-dated pay-rise this month so ordered the second one pictured above.

Not sure about the first as it read a bit "designy", if you know what I mean. :lol:

Designers we're not.... but i'm sure there will be some interesting chapters in there, remember it's probably old school references.

I would say it's probably about 4 years out of date, it discusses the implementing of Run-Flat tyres as a possability, rather than an actual fact, for eample. There's alot of math about coefficents and things but my school memories are far too rusty to understand/remember any of that.

I'll try and brush up on that though. There are lots of, what I think are greek, symbols employed that I don't recognise.

It does have some interesting information about the various different suspension designs, pros and cons etc.

Also stuff I hadn't thought about, like friction in a dampner, especially McPherson strut where it's set at an angle to ie; not vertical.

Touches a little on aerodynamics, like "cenre of pressure".