Coil Sag and Camber

CIH

I had a Kia Sorento/Carnival in today (think Ford Galaxy, Chrysler Grand Voyager etc) with a front camber issue. Like a doofus I forgot to get a summary but OEM stated front camber @ 0.00 - +1.00. O/S was @ +0.10" approx, N/S @ -0.20". Castor was spot on, toe was a mess but easily recoverable. Forgot where SAI was but IA was equal across the axle and wheelbase near enough equal, to within a couple of mm.

Question is, the N/S ride-height was approx 7mm lower than the O/S. Could this indicate coil sag, or could the camber itself be responsable for the disparity ? My autodata manual doesn't seem to carry rideheights so I had no target data.

I don't think it was causing a problem but I wasn't able to recover the camber and I hate having to hand over an uncorrected chassis without being able to offer an explanation.

BTW, it's McPhersion strut, with a lower arm and tension rod, similar to my S12 I think. Camber adjustment was offered at the strut top, not much though!

We can keep this hyperthetical if you prefer.

The camber values displayed couldn't lower the trim by 7mm so sage is possible but not necessarily a problem in this case. Two issues here.

* If the camber adjuster is at the top mount the effect will be pants because you are effectively just changing the tilt of the SAI, whereas if the adjuster was at the pinch bolts you tilt the hub (more effective)

* McPhersion struts tend to be more or less vertical (point to point) so coil sag is less dramatic to camber.

Maybe a crossmember optimise would have been the way to go?

I hadn't thought of that to be honest. Why I was so interested is I couldn't really see where the negative camber was coming from. With castor and wheelbase not indicating any problems it seemed unlikely anything was bent.

Other than subframe, arms and associated mounts what else is there ?

Well I've decided I'm not impressed with BMWs and their strut-top based adjustments. Barely finding +/- 20", after all the faffing about drilling out poxy little dowels, is a PITA.

Especially when you're attempting it 5 mins before chucking-out time...