Tyre blow out questions

saz9961

Never had a tyre blow out before, so don't know what is "normal".

Story; had a breakdown, so the AA had to tow me 30 miles home. They had this dolly contraption, where the front wheels are put on a wheeled contraption, and the rear wheels are on the road. The car is a 96 MX5, on P5 Puredrive shocks/springs, which had a session at Wim last summer. Wheels are factory 15" wheels. All the tyres were set to 28PSI, rear types were 195/50 15 Toyo Proxies-4, fitted in late December (supplied and fitted by a licenced Toyo dealer, not mail order supplied), with a couple of thousand, all road, miles on them. No faults with the brakes.

After 20 miles, inside rear tyre blew. Offside type looks absolutely fine, with no odd wear marks.

Shredded tyre:

P1040676.jpg

P1040663.jpg

P1040684.jpg

The broken wires are pointing outwards:

P1040681.jpg

Some sort of layer coming away:

P1040677.jpg

Odd tear near the valve. Don't know where the valve cap has gone; it was fitted pre-blow-out.

P1040682.jpg

The van wasn't being driven fast; incapable. These AA vans are 1.9 Renault diesels, which struggle on a tow.

I've been reading about failures of Toyo Proxies sidewalls. Any comments? Wondering if the pictures were worth send to Toyo UK, but if this is normal, I won't bother. Parts of the bodywork were damaged when the blown tyre carcass snagged up on it.

Oh dear..... Every tyre sold in the UK has at least five years Guarantee, you can go to any tyre centre that deals with Toyo and have them send the tyre back for inspection (at their expense)

Toyo will examine the tyre and if found to be faulty reimburse you a monetary equivalent of the remaining tread.... say 90% remaining= 90% refund.

When did you notice the tyre had deflated? It looks like it traveled quite a distance after the blow-out and the sidewall damage was caused by the rims.

Oh dear..... Every tyre sold in the UK has at least five years Guarantee, you can go to any tyre centre that deals with Toyo and have them send the tyre back for inspection (at their expense)

Toyo will examine the tyre and if found to be faulty reimburse you a monetary equivalent of the remaining tread.... say 90% remaining= 90% refund.

Oh, wow. I had never heard of this before (well, they don't tell you this when you buy a tyre). Is this some sort of statutory consumer protection or something. You wouldn't a link to a document stating this; I can't find any mention of a tyre warranty on Toyo UK's website.

Thanks

When did you notice the tyre had deflated? It looks like it traveled quite a distance after the blow-out and the sidewall damage was caused by the rims.

Car was being towed, so I wasn't driving. AA patrol man seemed to stop quickly as soon as he thought it was towing oddly (don't ask me how). Up front in the van, I had no idea what was happening to the car; couldn't even see it in the mirrors.

Oh, wow. I had never heard of this before (well, they don't tell you this when you buy a tyre). Is this some sort of statutory consumer protection or something. You wouldn't a link to a document stating this; I can't find any mention of a tyre warranty on Toyo UK's website.

Thanks

UK complaint form> http://www.grouptyre.co.uk/media/tyre-complaint-form.pdf every tyre centre has to use them.

i would say that it was deflated way before you stopped, and has been damaged whilst being effectively driven on

are there fragments of rubber inside the tyre ?

looks like the actual valve part is missing ?

i would say that it was deflated way before you stopped, and has been damaged whilst being effectively driven on

are there fragments of rubber inside the tyre ?

looks like the actual valve part is missing ?

Agreed.... There's no way the cap and valve core should be missing?