Steering feels heavy

Rich

For the last couple of weeks the steering feels like it's getting heavier, mainly at low speeds and when parking.

I did have the tyres at 30psi and put them up to 32psi but it made no difference. I don't like going higher than that as it feels like I don't get as much traction.

I did notice it's only started happening as the weather got warmer, coincidence maybe?

PAS belt and fluid was changed a year ago, maybe longer. Any ideas?

For the last couple of weeks the steering feels like it's getting heavier, mainly at low speeds and when parking.

I did have the tyres at 30psi and put them up to 32psi but it made no difference. I don't like going higher than that as it feels like I don't get as much traction.

I did notice it's only started happening as the weather got warmer, coincidence maybe?

PAS belt and fluid was changed a year ago, maybe longer. Any ideas?

Sounds like a tired PAS pump, mine had the same symptoms, changed it for a second hand one and has been fine since.

I hope it's not the top mounts as the camber kit is less than a year old. Any way to test them?

PAS pump is a good suggestion but I thought they start making noises when they go? I have a spare one I bought when I thought it was going but turned out to be the belt. Can't hurt to change it though ;)

Will try that when I get home mate. Should I have the engine running so the PAS is on and turn using the steering wheel or the wheels themselves?

Have it running and turn the road wheels.

Will do that this week mate...also I've noticed the last few days on full lock I'm getting a knocking, which I think is coming from the top mounts. Only just remembered as it's intermittent and it happened again tonight. I don't think this would cause heavy steering would it? Probably the nut come undone on the mount.

Just checked both mount nuts and they were finger tight! Done them up as much as I can cos the camber kit positions the piston by the edge and it's difficult to get a spanner on. I moved the wheels and they were turning ok but it was hard work. Via the steering wheel it felt very light.

Well it seems to feel lighter today but will see what happens over the week.

Could this have caused the steering to feel heavy then? I think I will put some locktite on them.

Could this have caused the steering to feel heavy then? I think I will put some locktite on them.

I don't know mate..... cars are mysterious things, the locktight seems like a good plan :thumbsup_anim:

I don't know mate..... cars are mysterious things, the locktight seems like a good plan :thumbsup_anim:

They certainly are and a right PITA sometimes! :)

I am wondering if them being loose may have changed my camber/castor angle or played part in how it has been handling :D

They certainly are and a right PITA sometimes! :)

I am wondering if them being loose may have changed my camber/castor angle or played part in how it has been handling :D

Unlikely it's changed the angles..... As you know we have to jack the car to remove weight from the adjuster and even then it's tight to turn.

• 3 months later...

Got this problem again! The nut on the top mount Tony put locktite on came undone again! B) Could it be that the camber/caster has moved alot causing it to feel like this? Feels heavy under normal driving now and when I steer right it feels like it's trying to steer the other way! What do you think? I've got mot tomorrow, do you think it's something they will pick up on?

Got this problem again! The nut on the top mount Tony put locktite on came undone again! ;) Could it be that the camber/caster has moved alot causing it to feel like this? Feels heavy under normal driving now and when I steer right it feels like it's trying to steer the other way! What do you think? I've got mot tomorrow, do you think it's something they will pick up on?

I think the top mount adjuster is pants B) ..... you should be fine for the MOT though.

Got this problem again! The nut on the top mount Tony put locktite on came undone again! :o Could it be that the camber/caster has moved alot causing it to feel like this? Feels heavy under normal driving now and when I steer right it feels like it's trying to steer the other way! What do you think? I've got mot tomorrow, do you think it's something they will pick up on?

I think the top mount adjuster is pants ;) ..... you should be fine for the MOT though.

Well I will try one last time with them and then I think they're coming off! What I described above about the steering resisting it was doing it when turning left as well. Coming out of the multi-storey car park in Watfordas you go around, it was trying to take me the other way!

is there enough thread to double up on nuts ?

There's enough thread but not sure if putting another nut on will hit the top plate...I will have to try, good idea :)

which thread lock are you using, there are different strengths of Loctite

Whatever one Tony had at WIM? I think the main problem is they're not nylocks, maybe I should replace them with some unless there's a reason not to use them. What loctite is the strongest?

which thread lock are you using, there are different strengths of Loctite

Whatever one Tony had at WIM? I think the main problem is they're not nylocks, maybe I should replace them with some unless there's a reason not to use them. What loctite is the strongest?

Mig ;)