1/4 Mile Drag Racing

TarkMalbot

I am looking at doing some 1/4 mile drag races and was wondering what I needed to do to set my car up for it.

I am using the MX-5 so RWD, I have 250bhp and 235/40/17 Toyo TR-1 tyres. Should I reduce the tyre pressures? And if so by how much? I am currently running 30 PSI. I guess I can try a few different things regarding the traction control and stability control and see what gives me the best times but unsure of tyre pressures.

Thanks.

You need maximum contact patch so i would drop the presure to around 15psi.

as the most important bit is getting away from the line that is good advice, although the lower pressure will give a bit more drag on the run itself !

not sure as low as 15psi, drop it slowly in stages to see what works best, too low and the tyre can loose contact area in the centre

stick the front pressures up to reduce their drag as well

remember to inflate/deflate as necessary afterwards !

I'm just thinking back to my involvement with a funny Drag-car team some years back.

The logic was low pressure =maximum contact patch then after launch> centrifugal force distorts the contact patch, which "assuming" the car keeps accelerating will reduce.

A few guys in the US said similar. 22 in the back and 40 in the front.

Thanks for the help.

It's a "suck it and see" scenario because of all the variables..... test, test and test again is the only way.

I think it was me who was the problem today not the tyre pressures! My reaction time varied massively, my wheel spin, gear changes etc etc was different every time. With half hour queue between each run my coolant temp and intake temp was pretty high. I did 4 runs in total and other than my reaction time, my last run felt like it went pretty well. No wheel spin, no rev limiter, my fastest 60 foot time, fastest 1/4 time and terminal speed. And to my surprise I have just checked all the cars in the RWD Jap Class and I was 4th Overall only beaten by 3 Nissan 200SX. I managed to see off the Supra, RX7, RX8, Skyline, MR2, LS200 and a J2x90 MkII (whatever one of those is)

1/4 Mile Time: 14.258 sec

Reaction Time: 0.972 sec

60 Foot Time: 2.176 sec

Maz Speed: 97.6 mph mph

Left Lane

No prizes for guessing who won here:

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

His was:

1/4 Mile Time: 12.096 sec sec

Reaction Time: 0.333 sec

60 Foot Time: 1.873 sec

Max Speed: 120.6 mph mph

Right lane

My gea changes were spot on. I think what let me down was being nervous and flustered on the line as it was my first time. I think my technique was wrong too as I had my clutch fully disengaged. If I was to do it again I would have it on the bite point and hold the car on the hand brake so as soon as the lights changed I could just let off the hand break and be off rather than having to get to the bite point first. Never mind.