Space saver spare wheels..... come on are we thick

Tony

Jaguar XK8: Space saver spare wheels are inevitable on this type of car obviously due to the rear tyre size... But don't let them kid us that the fitment of the S/S is safe.

post-2-1152821782_thumb.jpg

Apparently after a puncture it's considered safe to replace the original..

285 mm width 30% aspect ratio 20" Diameter running at 32psi with a....

135mm width 80% aspect ratio 18" Diameter running at 60psi..

post-2-1152822205_thumb.jpg

wim says: This is nothing more than a commercial cop-out suggesting a 'get you home' solution. No way can any car have a safe combination of 135mm and 285mm tyre width on the rear in the wet and be considered safe to drive..... your thoughts?

My old Honda Integra had a space saver wheel that had a smaller overall radius..... so when it was on, the car was slightly lop sided..... how safe was that?

In truth they are supposed to be only driven at a greatly reduced speed and for a short distance.....

But they are great fun...... Once over the Christmas holidays i had a puncture and everywhere was shut.... and i was courting so had to be mobile..... oh did i mention it was snowing.....

Integra as you know is front wheel drive so i stuck the "saver" on the back and kept the speed sensible... but every now and again I'd get a sideways movement, which was scary at first but before i went home i was doing front wheel doughnut's in a deserted ( everybody else stayed at home) snow covered car-park.....Twas late at night too... only me and the cops CCTV on the hotel across the road..... lol, only found that out afterwards....

Oh the fun memories :unsure:

My old Honda Integra had a space saver wheel that had a smaller overall radius..... so when it was on, the car was slightly lop sided..... how save was that?

In truth they are supposed to be only driven at a greatly reduced speed and for a short distance.....

But they are great fun...... Once over the Christmas holidays i had a puncture and everywhere was shut.... and i was courting so had to be mobile..... oh did i mention it was snowing.....

Integra as you know is front wheel drive so i stuck the "saver" on the back and kept the speed sensible... but every now and again I'd get a sideways movement, which was scary at first but before i went home i was doing front wheel doughnut's in a deserted ( everybody else stayed at home) snow covered car-park.....Twas late at night too... only me and the cops CCTV on the hotel across the road..... lol, only found that out afterwards....

Oh the fun memories :huh:

A fun exception to the rule...... good for you :unsure:

The MX's have a skinny 14" spacesaver which apparently you should only ever use on the front so if you get a rear puncture you have to put a front on the rear & use the spare on the front :unsure:

Amazing though, how many peeps have gone up to 15's or 16's but they are still carrying round a dinky 14 spare in their boot :huh:

The MX's have a skinny 14" spacesaver which apparently you should only ever use on the front so if you get a rear puncture you have to put a front on the rear & use the spare on the front :unsure:

Amazing though, how many peeps have gone up to 15's or 16's but they are still carrying round a dinky 14 spare in their boot :huh:

yes always a good idea to put the "saver" on one of the non driven wheels......

Once they have kept the rolling radius the same it shouldn't matter......

When I bought my SW20 we managed to rip a valve off a low front tyre and it being gone 9 there was no where to have it fixed.

After a bit more debate with the seller I realised i'd missed my last train home. I put the space saver on the front and took it out for a test and it was mis-firing badly on boost.

I had no where to say and i was in south west WALES.

Determind to get home i managed to knock £500 off the car and drove it the 220 miles at 50mphs, i started around 11pm and got home around 4am. Ironically I couldn't go any faster than 55mph if i tried as it would come on boost and start missing.

I took one hell of a gamble with that car but it paid off, I correctly guessed it was simply a dodgy plug and £14 later and a new set of light weight wheels she was on form :lol:

That said, there were a few moments as I was being passed by lorries towing vans on the m4 i thought to myself "what have i done".

No stereo either, that was a long, long drive.

When I bought my SW20 we managed to rip a valve off a low front tyre and it being gone 9 there was no where to have it fixed.

After a bit more debate with the seller I realised i'd missed my last train home. I put the space saver on the front and took it out for a test and it was mis-firing badly on boost.

I had no where to say and i was in south west WALES.

Determind to get home i managed to knock £500 off the car and drove it the 220 miles at 50mphs, i started around 11pm and got home around 4am. Ironically I couldn't go any faster than 55mph if i tried as it would come on boost and start missing.

I took one hell of a gamble with that car but it paid off, I correctly guessed it was simply a dodgy plug and £14 later and a new set of light weight wheels she was on form :lol:

That said, there were a few moments as I was being passed by lorries towing vans on the m4 i thought to myself "what have i done".

No stereo either, that was a long, long drive.

Scary stuff jon..... i assume you are in the 'Ban the space-saver' wim club then :ph34r:

They have their uses on average cars and as proven by me, they can get you out of fixes.

I keep a can of holts tyre weld in the track car now just in case, much lighter :lol:

They have their uses on average cars and as proven by me, they can get you out of fixes.

I keep a can of holts tyre weld in the track car now just in case, much lighter :)

In the US by 08 all new cars by law have to run on 'RFT' units.... and seemingly by 2012 this will apply to the UK.