Where's the lock gone?

Tony

This little lady

post-2-1235243887.jpg

post-2-1235243912.jpg

Suffered an OSF impact resulting in repair but not traumatic..... The steering position was initially off-centre but not by much and the rest of the chassis needed some attention but nothing more than you would expect from this type of highly tuned chassis....

To the problem?..... Left lock there is 1 1/4 turns to full lock, right lock there's 2 3/4...... The steering arms have more or less the same number of threads visible.

Where has the lock gone?

so the geo is correct ?

Yep..... Little things to tune, 10' camber nsf, 15' castor osf. I didn't set this since the entire under tray needs removing and the diffuser, since the car wasn't booked i wasn't prepared to remove it.

Nevertheless, fundamentally the chassis is true, the steering arms have more or less equal threads visible and the steering is centred, so where's the lock gone?

where the TRE balljoints in a distressed position ?

Nope, both sides were fine, proved by the TOOT, which was also fine..... To be fair i do know what "may be wrong" with this car but this is a good training tool to keep everyone alert.

Is it possible the rack may have jumped a couple of teeth (where it meshes with the pinion) ? Not even sure if that's possible, tbh, but I'm struggling too.

Your definitely on the right track (no pun intended)..... I have three options that could explain this cars condition, looking outside of the box how many ticks can to mark?

1:

2:

3:

No2 would show as inconsistant toe tendancey...?

Yes if the steering arm and wishbone radius was out of sync but i never tested for tendency...... It also had an offline steering wheel due to a new steering arm being fitted, so there was other areas masking the complaint.