Geometry warranty

Tony

I have a customer who's newish Porsche has very low castor angles causing "roll over" tyre wear and handling problems. I have researched aftermarket adjusters for this but the cost would be in the region of £1200 :)

So in light of this and the age of the car the owner decided to approach Porsche about this under warranty and their reply was that the Geometry on any new car sold is 1000 miles :)

wim says

That's rubbish..... very few owners would recognize handling issues while their learning the new car.... And any tyre wear issues won't come to light in that period...

I ask this, if the dealer is directing blame on the owner then how come on the new car your not given a chassis report? isn't it our god given right to know the car has been built correctly!... No, it's up to us to prove it was wrong or the cars never hit anything, well obviously that's not possible so once again the owner looses out.

• 1 month later...
Tony,

BMW have same attitude - alignment / geometry is only covered for 1000 miles! Unbelievable on cars costing this much!

My argument is they don't give you a Geo report when you pick the car up, so how come it's ok for them to say the car was correct from new ;)

Presumeably the manufacturers would claim the various development/evaluation mules, prototypes, etc had proven the gemoetry to be sound prior to full production. Given each example is, as near as possible, a replica of the final type-approved they could claim varifying each example manufactured is unnecessary.

They could easily claim geometry is subject to wear and tear.

I don't really agree with any of that and personally would expect such issues to be resolved by the dealer, if only on good faith.

Not as if they can afford to treat customers with anything other than reverance nowadays with even Toyota suffering.

• 1 month later...