Is it worth me doing this?

Rich

Lets be very careful.... If others have installed the uprated arb's without problems then great, but for now my concerns are evident but would diminish if adjustable drop-links where available (which their not) so i am worried about the transitional torsional rates front/ rear!...

One of the tools i use to dramatically change a cars turn in is the torsional disparity..... food for thought!!

Lets be very careful.... If others have installed the uprated arb's without problems then great, but for now my concerns are evident but would diminish if adjustable drop-links where available (which their not) so i am worried about the transitional torsional rates front/ rear!...

One of the tools i use to dramatically change a cars turn in is the torsional disparity..... food for thought!!

Done abit more research and it seems the 19mm rear ARB has no problems but the 21mm snaps the brackets off after a while as they weaken, meaning the rear subframe needs reinforcing to prevent this. I've also read a few comments on how the car doesn't understeer as much with the 21mm ARB fitted, so maybe it does cause more oversteer which could be a problem? I've been put off now anyway from what could potentially be alot of hassle! :)

I think the best route to take is change the ARB to a MK1, which will still be 18mm so I can poly bush the drop links for those. From the 2 photos I posted before do you think it would be worth my while doing this, especially as the type I have snap easily. Like you say there are no adjustable links available so I see this as being the next best thing.

"snaps the brackets"... nuff said.

I would be happy if you just up-rated the front arb and "poly'd" that.... this would reduce the float and tighten the corner in yaw.

Yep that's what put me off! :)

There are no front uprated ARB available though :) but mine is already poly bushed :D

Next step is the front strut brace then :)

Done abit more research and it seems the 19mm rear ARB has no problems but the 21mm snaps the brackets off after a while as they weaken, meaning the rear subframe needs reinforcing to prevent this

"snaps the brackets"... nuff said

There has been a few cases of them weakening, but as with everything, you uprate and box the brackets. Another little bit of modifying in the grand scheme of things shouldn't be anything to worry about. Very easy to box the brackets and then you have a 21mm rear sway bar.

• 1 month later...

Back on to this subject...I've been looking at rose jointed front and rear drop links, which a guy in America makes. The front's are adjustable by around 1" shorter and 1" longer than OEM...will this be adjustable enough Tony?

The rears are slightly adjustable but I would mainly want those as mine are prone to snapping, talking of which so are the fronts or at least bending! It would mean finding the older style ARB so they fit, which shouldn't be too much aggro.

The fronts are $70 and the rears are $40, plus $40 shipping = around £100

So any opinions/thoughts about these?

Fronts

uprated_front_links.jpg

Rears

uprated_rear_links.jpg

• 1 month later...

My Eibach springs are on the standard shocks at the moment, new genuine front ones were fitted with the springs and the originals are still on the rear. What benefits would I get from upgrading them to sports shocks, say the spax adjustables? If these are also shorter would it help with my camber/castor issues?

My Eibach springs are on the standard shocks at the moment, new genuine front ones were fitted with the springs and the originals are still on the rear. What benefits would I get from upgrading them to sports shocks, say the spax adjustables? If these are also shorter would it help with my camber/castor issues?

No it would make it worse plus you would definitely need adjustable links.

I was thinking about this again earlier and thought the same...shorter shocks would mean more negative camber, so when this is adjusted the castor will be further out? Would it be a drastic change do you think?

I was thinking about this again earlier and thought the same...shorter shocks would mean more negative camber, so when this is adjusted the castor will be further out? Would it be a drastic change do you think?

Yes i think so, either way could you risk it?

I'm screwed no matter what I want to do! :wub:

I'm screwed no matter what I want to do! :wub:

Yep ^_^