Interesting things happening with my camber/caster!

Rich

Tony when I change the wishbones I will need the geo done as I will obviously loose the positions from the camber kit. Any chance we could try a different approach to see how the car behaves, as you know I still ain't happy with it and I'm close to ripping the kit off now and living with the wear?!

Is there anything you can think of that might be causing the kit to not work properly as it's strange the kit you adjusted the other week was fine. I thought about removing the struts and checking everything is fitted correctly and hasn't moved, especially the side where the nut kept coming undone...or would I be wasting my time?

When the adjusters optimize this only works if the positions to be optimized are favorable, the one the other day was, yours was not. I think the best thing is to change the bits you need to change and we can start afresh.

Tony when I change the wishbones I will need the geo done as I will obviously loose the positions from the camber kit. Any chance we could try a different approach to see how the car behaves, as you know I still ain't happy with it and I'm close to ripping the kit off now and living with the wear?!

Is there anything you can think of that might be causing the kit to not work properly as it's strange the kit you adjusted the other week was fine. I thought about removing the struts and checking everything is fitted correctly and hasn't moved, especially the side where the nut kept coming undone...or would I be wasting my time?

When the adjusters optimize this only works if the positions to be optimized are favorable, the one the other day was, yours was not. I think the best thing is to change the bits you need to change and we can start afresh.

Trying from a blank canvas sounds good and if that don't work they're coming off as I think this is one of the main reasons I'm not enjoying the car as much now. I'm still puzzled how it was ok for a week or so after the geo when the kit was first fitted and then the caster kept changing :D

Trying from a blank canvas sounds good and if that don't work they're coming off as I think this is one of the main reasons I'm not enjoying the car as much now. I'm still puzzled how it was ok for a week or so after the geo when the kit was first fitted and then the caster kept changing :D

"Shrug"..... that's cars for you.

No two wishbones are exactly the same length. Could it be possible that if one was shorter/longer (I know we're talking mm here) than the previous one fitted it could affect the kit. So if it was slightly longer this would increase negative camber by pushing the strut outwards. Would this be enought to affect the range the kit would give? Or am I talking crap!

No, it's more probable the subframe is displaced.

Well I did have that problem with it when I first got the car. All 4 bolts were replaced and one of the captive nuts had to be cut out, which was nut/bolted instead. I did buy some subframe pins to use for when we did this job though.

If I remember correctly it was for this reason I first brought the car to you at STS and you said the car was pretty good alignment wise.

Could subframe alignment be a cause of my overall rapid tyre wear?

• 8 months later...

Have updated the first post with today's camber and castor angles. As you can see the camber hadn't changed much in a year when you consider the state of our roads. There was quite a difference in the castor angles though and the front toe was also out. Something I've noticed is that today both the left and right castor angles were the highest they've been but are now within the factory settings :o

The car has been feeling very nervous lately, with light vague steering and a big dislike to any bumps in the road. The drive home was much better, steering felt tighter and more responsive so I'm happy at the moment. I'm just praying the castor angles don't move again and upset the handling.

At the end of the day we cannot explain why it it what it is but only the fact it is? I'm as bothered as you to know why but holding of breath is not recommended.

When the kit was first fitted and the geo done the castor was 2° out on each side, hence why it felt very nervous. It seems to have sorted itself out now as the angles today were within OEM settings. Maybe it just needed time to bed in on my car :rolleyes:

At the end of the day we cannot explain why it it what it is but only the fact it is? I'm as bothered as you to know why but holding of breath is not recommended.

When the kit was first fitted and the geo done the castor was 2° out on each side, hence why it felt very nervous. It seems to have sorted itself out now as the angles today were within OEM settings. Maybe it just needed time to bed in on my car :rolleyes:

Who knows...... What, how , why is beyond me explanation.

told ya rich it was probably a combination of slightly suffed tyres and all that toe :rolleyes:

I will have to find all the old reports and see what toe they had as well but I don't think they were out much before.

I have 400-500 miles to do next week with a mixture of long flat A roads and twisty B roads so lots of testing will be taking place ;)