Tyres not allowed out in the cold

Tony

This is a label left on a very popular make of tyre..... in all the time i have dealt with this make i have never seen this warning label, so i assume it's normally removed?

post-2-1222975345.jpg

So seemingly if the temperature is 0 or below the tyre may "fail", seems a bit dramatic that you need to check the weather before driving the car :D

I suppose it's there just to cover their arse if anything happened? ;)

Yep.... But isn't it strange a domestic tyre could require such attention :D

Have you ever had a complaint about tyres cracking as they're too cold? Does seem strange though...

Can you guess what make these tyres are?

Toyo?

Yep, R888's

I thought they were looking at the lack of tread pattern on the edge. I thought these were road/track tyres so maybe this is the reason as they'd be used hard on a track?

Wonder if other track-day tyres suffer in a similar way ?

Why so surprised? Due to their chemical properties and construction, tyres operate best at a very specific temperature...I would expect you guys to know that :) The track tyre is at the other end of the spectrum from the winter tyre, and in the middle is the so called 'all weather tyre'. The 'all weather' tyre was probably OK in the 60's and possibly 70's, but it hasn't kept pace with the advance in car technology and performance. Modern tyres have been highly optimized and work in a very limited range of temperatures especially race and track tyres which have various compounds for different ambient and track temperatures.

Even road legal tyres like the Mitchelin Pilot Sport, that is not specifically a track tyre, is best being used between 70°C and 104°C, so a specific track tyre like the R888 can't be expected to be used effectively anywhere near 0 °C.

Winter tyres are produced with greater levels of silica and this helps them to remain supple at low temperatures. Winter tyres should be used when the temperature is likely to fall below 7 degrees centigrade. The perception that winter tyres only give benefits on snow or ice is years out of date as modern rubber compound technology and advances in tread pattern design means the modern day winter tyre also provides higher levels of road safety on cold and damp road surfaces too (Perhaps they should be called 'Cold Weather tyres).

Sorry for the rant, but I lived in Norway for a while and it was very necessary to change tyres for these reasons, as well as having specific recommendations for storage of the 'summer tyres' very similar to what's on that label on the R888's.

IMHO the UK should have some kind of guideline to persuade peeps to use cold weather tyres during the winter months (although with global warming perhaps not :) ). Anyway until then there's an average of 6393 more accidents involving cars on the UK's roads in winter than there are in summer....perhaps a good incentive to change to cold weather tyres would be for Insurance Companies to reduce premiums for peeps that change....fat chance :D

Off to Sweden next week...last time I was there the hire car had studded tyres, at least we don't have to use those.

Back on topic, I nicked this from another forum as I thought it was a good summary of the use and characteristics of the Toyo R888's http://the-corrado.net/forum/viewtopic.php...hilit=toyo+R888

Well you could have given a more detailed explanation :)....

I have never seen that sort of warning on any road tyre before and i suppose i look at tyres for their saturation limits rather then operational temperature limits (a bit of a blind spot)

I think we all know the r888 rides the absolute minimum cold requirement for road use, that's why they are so good on the track.

Well you could have given a more detailed explanation :)....

I have never seen that sort of warning on any road tyre before and i suppose i look at tyres for their saturation limits rather then operational temperature limits (a bit of a blind spot)

I think we all know the r888 rides the absolute minimum cold requirement for road use, that's why they are so good on the track.

To be fair it's not really a road tyre, is it? It was designed to be of limited use on the road, mainly to enable drivers to get to track days without all the bother of carrying an extra set of track wheels and tyres. I thought the Corrado write up summed them up really well.

• 1 month later...