What car to Get ?

CIH

Trying to decide what to get for my next car.

So far I've been looking at 80s Nissan ZX SIlvia, Bluebird and various Sunnys but it's taking ages finding one suitable.

Also, I've fancied turning it into a budget track toy and, as i'm studying Geo it'd be handy to have something to play with.

I want something fairly cheap (~£1000), upto 2.0 (non-turbo) and something that lends itself to be modified. Mods would be interior strippage, brakes, wheels and most of all suspension- ideally coilovers for full adjustment potential.

I want something Jap, 80s/early 90s and either FWD or RWD as I'm not especially fussy.

Now, I know what you're thinking. MX-5 right ? Should be perfect but, despite myself, I just can't like them. I don't know why I just don't! So how about an 80s Corolla GT ?

392337.jpg

I like it. Slammed om Jap rims and mild mods. Incidentally, mailed the guy and TLC means missing some interior odds 'n' sods, N/S/F rusty wing and a bad respray. Wing should be an easy fix (assuming a replacement can be found) and the rest isn't a big deal.

Would prefer Nissan as I like 'em but I'm getting bored not having a car.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why does it have to be jap.....

maestro 2.0 mg, infact you could get a maestro turbo for a little more than 1k

rover coupe, make great track cars, again go for the 2.0 l...infact

i can personally vouch for the rover 216gti...as a very good track machine....i raced them for a few years

the coupe and gti are japanese cars....the gti even has the honda engine, but there both just badged as Rovers

for old japanese metal you will pay considerably more

trust me

i can personally vouch for the rover 216gti...as a very good track machine....i raced them for a few years

the coupe and gti are japanese cars....the gti even has the honda engine, but there both just badged as Rovers

trust me

Raced them ????

Not what you told me Matthew...............never got to race just did a 1 or 2 practice sessions................

Best not to mislead peoiple ;)

trust me

Raced them ????

Not what you told me Matthew...............never got to race just did a 1 or 2 practice sessions................

Best not to mislead peoiple ;)

never said that at all, ....

Jap's best since they tend to have a good DI and they tend to be fully adjustable at the chassis.

I wouldn't entertain a maestro because the mods needed would be vast.... and the live axle? well what can i say.

the 94 on 200 series rovers, are all honda based, using the same chassis as the civics

the maestro , in 2.0l mg/turbo guise is a very good handling car

Jap's best since they tend to have a good DI and they tend to be fully adjustable at the chassis.

I wouldn't entertain a maestro because the mods needed would be vast.... and the live axle? well what can i say.

the 94 on 200 series rovers, are all honda based, using the same chassis as the civics

the maestro , in 2.0l mg/turbo guise is a very good handling car

I absolutely agree but how adjustable is the chassis out of the box..... next to zero!

As a project car the Jap chassis is exemplary and easy to manipulate whereas the Maestro chassis is a can-O-worms chassis wise.

The MGT has a very good DI for a FWD but be honest.... It pushed big time corner in!!

yes the Turbo did suffer terrible understeer, but throttle fethering and turning into/out off the understeer could get the front round any corner, at considerable speed, remember though, back in 1989 it was a seriously underated car...at 200hp a trait that was solved somewhat on the turbo coupe, with the Torsen diff

;)

every time the MG-T comes up in discussion, it makes me want to go out and get one again

problem you will have is Pre93 jap metal, will either be expensive, or rusty......

but you could look at some of the more obscure jap cars.

datsun sunny turbo....is an option if you can find one, or some of the older nissans...which end up being datsuns...anyway

problem you will have is Pre93 jap metal, will either be expensive, or rusty......

but you could look at some of the more obscure jap cars.

datsun sunny turbo....is an option if you can find one, or some of the older nissans...which end up being datsuns...anyway

They didn't do a Sunny Turbo other than 4x4 N14 GTiR. Do you mean Cherry Turbo ?

I've been looking at N13 (Hatch) or B12 (Coupe) Sunny ZX' which are awesome for adjustment as most of the GTiR stuff can be retro-fitted but have only seen one or two in 6 months.

I doubt any Datsun would be adjustable. Most of the 80s cars have semi-trailing arms at the rear ala E30 3-series. I know lack of rear adjustment bothers the S12 Silvia guys. Besides I don't really need the complication of a Turbo.

So far, Mx5 & Mk1 Mr2 are looking best. I think the Mx5 would be overall better but the MR2 more interesting though I'll need more like ~£1500. Work has been very quiet and the pay dire. Uh, more dire than normal.

Besides, I've never fancied hair-dressing. ;)

Point to remember the MR2 sw20 has a poor DI and very understeery.

"DI" ? :D

You've not been paying attention have you!..... DI= "Dynamic Indexing". Sam@TDi who is accredited by Prodrive trained me on Indexing, it's a very dynamic topic and a little heavy but if your up to it i will point you to the thread?