CIH's Training Thread

CIH

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what an actual kingpin rather than a "theoretical" kingpin ?

Yes.... The real terminology for Kingpin stems from the cart where the rotational axis was vertically linked to the steer axis..... King-pins in the true sense have no inclination/ declination.

Remember the castor position is taken on a 20 degree lock. As the steering is turned the pivotal points orbit around a moving axis.... Try this> in the shop turn the cars steering left/ right and notice how the bonnet oscillates, ask yourself why? How can turning the steering make the bonnet rise and fall?

We've already covered this B). As the wheel shifts it's posture it would drop below the road surface, but obviously can't, so insted it pushes the the front of the car up.

Oh right so, looking at the inner wheel of the turn, it's essentially the spring becoming unladen that accounts for the extra castor (so to speak) ?

• 2 weeks later...
Some people just don't like to have their opinions challenged......

Did me the world of good.... The thread got around 2.5k veiws and i have endless Merc's to calibrate, i held me cool "more or less" but this type of thread sucks your time.

Anyway, your training thread, where was we B)

Ah yeah...... Research for me was the first port of call. A -30' OEM front camber is not aggressive but the tyre wear (10% on the inner) to the wire in 5k is.

I set some test cars to the OEM front camber of -30 then turned the steering 20 degrees (limited information on that machine) and noted the outer wheels camber migration to -1 degree 20' or there abouts. Toot at 20 degrees, inner wheel +1 degree 45'.

From further research i found there was three global positions for castor, Asian, European and UK but this angle if fixed so how can there be three arrangements B) My desire was to increase the fixed castor position so i found this solution.

Move the camber to -15', this totally violates the toe and when this is corrected it pulls the castor forward an additional around 45'. So the castor can be adjusted "indirectly".

On testing the outer wheels gain on lock (20 degrees) was to -55', 15' over stock static, 40' over my static position but still a dramatic reduction. The cars where then tested in the field and in the case of the Lexus IS200/ 300/ 300sc i hit the nail on the head first time.... Happy days.

Point of the project was to realize the criminal?.... The wear was obviously camber but the OEM static position was sedate, so where was this wear happening.... Answer "on the corner". The only adjustable tools where the camber/ toe and since camber is the most aggressive angle that was the one to work with.