CIH's Training Thread

CIH

I've always thought deeper static castor meant deeper camber gains on turn ?

Well done, you are paying attention. This is where things get complicated, on the IS the Ackemann is aft of the TOOT plus the IS has a very low SAI (around 9 degrees) this means the SR migration is aggressive compared to most cars. The migration on the IS is almost instant lock-on-lock, whereas on most cars the migration is a shared transition.

Put it another way... Why would a car with a OEM front camber setting of -30 duff the tyres in 5k? I think we would agree straight line camber position is fine so why the wear?

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh yeah sorry that's right. So it's the inner wheel SR that's incorrectly positioned ?

Sorry yes it is..... The problem we have is no one has the data for how everything should correctly migrate, if there is a visible tyre wear issue and the readings are near to stock then it's time to look outside of the box. In the case of the Lex i had the wheels turned 20 degrees and the inner wheels camber had dropped to around -1 degree 45' from the ahead position of -30', this as you are well aware is a massive transition for a 20 degree lock.

I was thinking about this today. We've already established static camber can cause incorrect placement of SR on turn, so is the extra castor you dial-in related to SR migration, or is it simply to compensate for the lower camber ?

No it's to activate/ belay TOOT in order to control the migration. In the case of the Lex an increase of castor slowed the TOOT (steering arm behind pivotal point) which in turn reduced the migration.

That was my other thought but I had always thought of deeper castor = more migration which seemed a contradiction.

"In the case of the Lex an increase of castor slowed the TOOT (steering arm behind pivotal point) which in turn reduced the migration."

Is that consistant across all makes/models, and obviously the opposite for models with steering arm ahead of pivot ?

• 2 weeks later...

I would say KPI/SAI since this holds vehicular weight and mechanical energy, castor is a consequence not a real mechanical feature (argue that one later)

The longitudinal function of castor overwhealms the real pivotal value of the SAI (perpendicular in action) (the mythical castor) meaning the longitudinal effect of the castor is much less than the vehicular weight pressing down on ther king pins. By convention it's globally recognized this transition holds real transitional free energy obliging a steering migration and ultimately a free return.

Power steering...... Pah :wacko:

Well not really...... The marriage between the castor and SAI is divorced once the "dead a-head" relaxed state is violated "yaw", here on you have an orbital suspension/ chassis configuration in action. To say the castor activates TOOT, yes it does..... Does it help steering return, maybe, is it more valuable than SAI? you tell me?

my ikkle book says castor infulences the jacking effect created by the SAI rotating on it's axis ?

Anyway, to answer you're question, I'd say SAI. For the same reasons you stated earlier.

Indeed, there is a complicated, dynamic going on during the yaw.... Remember also the SAI is longitudinally perpendicular during the turn, so it's almost orbiting around the rotational axis.

With advances in suspension design it was possible to reduce the kingpin off-set to almost zero but although this made construction more economical a problem with road shocks evolved, the logical solution was to tilt the SAI to a perpendicular position (remember the kingpin was vertical) thus increasing the castor position, inevitably this made the steering weight heavy since the weight is no longer over a vertical pivotal point. The castor off-set although more productive needed assistance to reduce driver fatigue, hence the need for power assisted steering.