The results of under-inflation?

Gary_R

Hi folks,

here is a picture of a tyre that I took off my Mondeo. The car had a 4 wheel laser alignment 5k ago, the tyres have done 9k and were run at 34PSI. I believe this rating to be accurate as I have two accurate devices and they both give near the same readout. They are checked weekly.

I have now fitted some new tyres, and will run them at 36PSI.

tyre1.jpg

tyre2.jpg

tyre3.jpg

tyre4.jpg

Just to add, I previously had a Mondeo TDCi on the same sized wheels & tyres. Ford recommend 37PSI front and 34 PSI rear. My new Mondeo, despite being the same weight, is recommended 31 PSI front and 30PSI rear. What a joke!!!

I had no problems when running at 38 PSI, but will see how it goes on 36PSI for the time being.

Comments & opinions welcome.

Regards,

Gary

Hello Gary

Actual tyre pressure is very subjective.... I did cover the issue here> http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...?showtopic=2415

Let me know if the information is insufficient.

Hi Tony,

thanks for that. I am aware of the pressure differences depending on the load and speed of the vehicle, infact I am soon to make a thread on a similar subject. Would you agree that the tyre in my original post has worn un-evenly?

Gary :D

Would you agree that the tyre in my original post has worn un-evenly?

It's clearly worn unevenly, but the wear also looks asymmetrical and very much more localised to the shoulder than you might expect if the only problem was under-inflation. Under-inflation may well be a contributory factor, but it looks very much like an alignment problem also.

With under-inflation alone as the cause of the uneven wear, wouldn't you expect the wear to taper, more or less evenly depending upon the degree of under-inflation, from the centre to outside of the periphery, with about the same level of wear at both outside edges?

Gary, may be wrong but are you also registered on here as little brown bike? You had problems with tyre wear on your TDCi after you fitted the 18's?

When you have the tyres at 34psi does tramlining get worse or does the steering feel lighter? If I go over 32psi on my 17's the car handles terribly!

Would you agree that the tyre in my original post has worn un-evenly?

It's clearly worn unevenly, but the wear also looks asymmetrical and very much more localised to the shoulder than you might expect if the only problem was under-inflation. Under-inflation may well be a contributory factor, but it looks very much like an alignment problem also.

With under-inflation alone as the cause of the uneven wear, wouldn't you expect the wear to taper, more or less evenly depending upon the degree of under-inflation, from the centre to outside of the periphery, with about the same level of wear at both outside edges?

The car was aligned using the 'Hunter DSP 6000' (Pretty sure thats what its called?). However I noticed that my model of car was not listed.

For example there was 2.0 TDCi, 2.0 TDCi Estate, 2.0 TDCi Self Leveling etc but no 3.0 ST V6, instead the settings used were Sedan 3.0L. The problem I see here is that the machine could be referring to the normal 3.0 V6 Mondeo, as opposed to my 3.0 V6 Mondeo ST220 - which happens to have a completely different chassis setup. Its lowered 15mm and various track rod ends etc are differ from the standard Mondeo.

alignment.jpg

Gary, may be wrong but are you also registered on here as little brown bike? You had problems with tyre wear on your TDCi after you fitted the 18's?

When you have the tyres at 34psi does tramlining get worse or does the steering feel lighter? If I go over 32psi on my 17's the car handles terribly!

That was certainly me, but I couldn't remember my password and the 'forgot password' feature on the site didn't seem to work so I re-registered. I didn't have any wear problems with the 18"'s I fitted to my previous Mondeo, just rubbish handling.

Just to add, I fitted new tyres to the rear 3,000 miles ago and have been running 33PSI ever since. So far so good, the rear has a fantastic amount of grip and the wear seems spot on.

I have not noticed any tramlining at 34psi, only rarely on certain parts of the motorway which are well worn. Since putting the new tyres to 36psi, there seems to be no noticeable difference in the steering although the car does seem to jolt a bit when going over bumps mid-corner. I am yet to determine what effect running at 36psi will yield.

That was certainly me, but I couldn't remember my password and the 'forgot password' feature on the site didn't seem to work so I re-registered. I didn't have any wear problems with the 18"'s I fitted to my previous Mondeo, just rubbish handling.

Just to add, I fitted new tyres to the rear 3,000 miles ago and have been running 33PSI ever since. So far so good, the rear has a fantastic amount of grip and the wear seems spot on.

I have not noticed any tramlining at 34psi, only rarely on certain parts of the motorway which are well worn. Since putting the new tyres to 36psi, there seems to be no noticeable difference in the steering although the car does seem to jolt a bit when going over bumps mid-corner. I am yet to determine what effect running at 36psi will yield.

I thought it was, you should've PT'd me on MEG I would've sorted it for you :D

I remember now, you went from 16's to 18's and had nothing but grief with the handling!

If you run 36psi won't you run the risk of overinflating the tyre and wearing the middle part quicker?

Will have to see how my trammlining alters next week when I get the geo done and new boots on.

The target data is wrong..... The ST does have it's own calibration positions.

I will check the target for you tomorrow when i'm back in the centre.

Thank you very much.

Permission to throw stones granted..... I got very distracted today at the centre and forgot to get the data "sorry".

I will get it tomorrow, "honest indian"

Thank you very much.

Permission to throw stones granted..... I got very distracted today at the centre and forgot to get the data "sorry".

Thats a shame as I was awaiting your post so I could trundle off to the alignment centre. Not to worry though, as I realise you do this as a favour in your free time so take as long as you like :D

I go away to the Nurburgring tomorrow and should cover over 1,000 miles. I will let you know how I get on, and how the tyres hold up. I have taken measurements across all 4 tyres and will meassure them again when I get home.

Thank you very much.

Thats a shame as I was awaiting your post so I could trundle off to the alignment centre. Not to worry though, as I realise you do this as a favour in your free time so take as long as you like :D

I go away to the Nurburgring tomorrow and should cover over 1,000 miles. I will let you know how I get on, and how the tyres hold up. I have taken measurements across all 4 tyres and will meassure them again when I get home.

Sorry mate, i had a real blond day today?...... You take your data, i will research mine and we will meet in the middle.

Thank you very much.

Thats a shame as I was awaiting your post so I could trundle off to the alignment centre. Not to worry though, as I realise you do this as a favour in your free time so take as long as you like B)

Sorry mate, i had a real blond day today?...... You take your data, i will research mine and we will meet in the middle.

Sorry Tony, what I meant was I was waiting for you to get back to me with the alignment settings for my ST220 so I could print them off and take them to my local alignment centre so they can set the car up properly. Assuming what you said is true and its currently setup for another model..?

I have just got back from the ring and have noted some details done...

Front Right Tyre

Left: 7

Centre: 8+

Right: 5

Front Left Tyre

Left: 5

Centre: 8+

Right: 7

After about 1300 miles, including 4 laps of the ring.

Front Right Tyre

Left: 7-

Centre: 8-

Right: 5-

Front Left Tyre

Left: 5-

Centre: 8-

Right: 7-

+ means just above

- means just below

As you can see they seem to be wearing evenly, the rears show the same even wear after 4,000 miles.