In need of some help

Morning all :)

Sons GF's car is having a problem at the minute and need of some help:....Ford Puma.

On start up she gets a clicking, sounds like battery to me so remove battery top up and charge everything seems o.k then it wont start at all seems like either battery knackered or not holding charge so alternator up the creek....clicking only now battery tested seems fine.

Could it be:

1) Need new battery (£85) from Ford :)

2) Alternator...how do you test this?

3) Starter motor

Cheers peeps :)

Morning all :)

Sons GF's car is having a problem at the minute and need of some help:....Ford Puma.

On start up she gets a clicking, sounds like battery to me so remove battery top up and charge everything seems o.k then it wont start at all seems like either battery knackered or not holding charge so alternator up the creek....clicking only now battery tested seems fine.

Could it be:

1) Need new battery (£85) from Ford :)

2) Alternator...how do you test this?

3) Starter motor

Cheers peeps :)

Sounds like the starter to me...... Put it in gear, rock the car and try again.

Yeah im waiting for him to get home and were going to have a look and see whats up,from what i saw of the battery last night it did look in a sorry state so we'll start from there. From all accounts it went dead the other day!! it was jumped, taken for a spin up the m/way got home turned off and tried to re-start but it wouldn't which is why i suspect the alternator as its not holding a charge.

Battery for a Puma is £85 from stealers and i thought Lexus were expensive :)

Thanks guys.

Clicking is probably the relay but I agree with Tony sounds like the starter motor, although it could probably benefit from a new battery.

If it's the alternator then the battery light should come on the dash with certain revs until it stays on all the time. The voltage of the battery with the engine off and running should be the same, under load it should increase slightly. If it doesn't then it's the alternator.

If you want the instructions for removing the starter that ford uses I can email them to you :)