Seized lower arm ball joints

Is there a specific way of checking these and do I need to remove it from the hub to do this?

What symptoms would I experience handling/steering wise if one has seized?

As the rubber around one of mine has been split for a good 6 months now I think I need to change it but want to check first :huh:

Is there a specific way of checking these and do I need to remove it from the hub to do this?

As the rubber around one of mine has been split for a good 6 months now I think I need to change it but want to check first :huh:

if its split change it.....simple as

As the rubber around one of mine has been split for a good 6 months now I think I need to change it but want to check first :)

if its split change it.....simple as

Yeah I know I should but don't want to until Tony has opened the centre when I put me camber kit on. Just that I have a 300 mile drive in 2 weeks so wondering if I should stick one on for then :huh:

Obvious play at the wheel commands you change the wishbone.... In truth mate the three point wishbone won't interfere to much with the Geometry in the short time between visits.... As Mat says if in doubt "change it".

There is no play in the wheel when I checked 2 or 3 weeks ago, which is why I'd like to know how to check if they've seized or not? Is it just a case of popping the joint out and feeling how smoothly it moves?

There is no play in the wheel when I checked 2 or 3 weeks ago, which is why I'd like to know how to check if they've seized or not? Is it just a case of popping the joint out and feeling how smoothly it moves?

No... you will do more damage removing it... All you need to do is feel the resistance of the swivel as you rotate the wheel left/right.... Any tight spots says the joint is knacked.

What's the best way of checking? I usually jack one side up at a time and have the steering lock on. Should both wheels and the steering lock be off then?

Think I'll go get a new one and change it anyway :huh:

What's the best way of checking? I usually jack one side up at a time and have the steering lock on. Should both wheels and the steering lock be off then?

Think I'll go get a new one and change it anyway :huh:

Wise words... wim's open soon we can sort the calibration then....

Got some pattern arms delivered today. I can't move the ball joints by hand though, I have to tap them with a mallet...is this right?

Reason I ask is that the other pair of arms I bought last year the ball joint could be moved quite freely by hand!

Need to fit these by Monday and it's forecast rain all weekend, plus Ford don't have the bolts I need, can't get them until Tuesday now :huh: How many times can nylocks be reused? :blush:

Got some pattern arms delivered today. I can't move the ball joints by hand though, I have to tap them with a mallet...is this right?

Reason I ask is that the other pair of arms I bought last year the ball joint could be moved quite freely by hand!

Need to fit these by Monday and it's forecast rain all weekend, plus Ford don't have the bolts I need, can't get them until Tuesday now :huh: How many times can nylocks be reused? :blush:

The pin should be tight, i use a ring spanner to align them..... As for the nylock "once" officially but with some threadlock added i would feel fine using them twice.

Need to fit these by Monday and it's forecast rain all weekend, plus Ford don't have the bolts I need, can't get them until Tuesday now :o How many times can nylocks be reused? :huh:

The pin should be tight, i use a ring spanner to align them..... As for the nylock "once" officially but with some threadlock added i would feel fine using them twice.

That's cool then :) If we get a dry spell over the weekend I'll change them and just swap the bolts later on :blush:

Did this today, went well, I only had the wheel left to put on when we had all that hail!! :thumbsup_anim:

Here's a pic of the old arm and the ball joint was very loose, I could move it with one finger! :angry:

The steering feels alot smoother now with no resistance anymore. Need to do the other side and then just the camber kit to fit cos it's still pulling although the drive is better now the arm is changed :angry:

pic15.jpg