Is MPG affected by geometry?

Rich

I don't think this has been asked before but just curious to know.

Does a cars geometry have any affect on the MPG....for example if the alignment was well out of spec I assume this puts more pressure/strain on the chassis and tyres driving them harder.

Would the difference in fuel consumption change drastically?

It's just that I've noticed I'm not getting as many MPG as I used to, after I lowered it and fitted the 17's.

I thought it was just the wider tyres causing it but since I found out that on one side the camber is out I'm wondering if this is having an affect also?

Would the difference in fuel consumption change drastically?

It's just that I've noticed I'm not getting as many MPG as I used to, after I lowered it and fitted the 17's.

I thought it was just the wider tyres causing it but since I found out that on one side the camber is out I'm wondering if this is having an affect also?

More likely to be the tyre pressures??? :P

I check my tyres all the time, once a week if I can. I did have them on 30psi and have since increased to 32psi. I did try a higher pressure but the car handled differently, didn't feel as grippy to me, especially on the front.

Jon - are you saying the brand of tyre can affect it as well?

I have the Toyo's T1-S...maybe they're me problem!

They will need replacing soon and I won't be getting them again as they wear too quickly! :D

The T1-S did well in Tyrereviews> http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Toyo/T1S.htm

They're being phased out by Toyo..gradually being replaced as they release the same sizes in the T1-R.

I love the tyre, don't get me wrong it's the best I've ever used as I'd always been a 'budget' tyre person. However, when you only get 5000 - 6000 miles out of them it's a little dissappointing.

True.... But be honest though some of the wear is due to the Geometry calibration positions. Although with the best calibration you'd be fortunate to get more than 8k

i also think that Toyos are a good tyre for outright dry grip..but have to say it falls down on others such as comfort, uniformity as it wears, roll resistance and wear. As Tony has said you'd be lucky to get more than 8K from a set of T1-s and I got little more than 12K from my T1Rs.....and have to say after it wore half way it tramlined a bit more and was a bit more harsh and ride comfort suffered.

My last set of Yokos the AVS DBs lasted 20K (the ones I have on now have an even higher wear rating so expecting longer)...and wore very well all the way till they were gone....so factoring everything together and the fact that I would have needed 2 sets of Toyos and the fact that it reduced my fuel efficiency by 10% or more I would be sticking with Yokos...i just worked out a 10% saving in petrol would save me £260 or more a year!!

Well hopefully that will change soon :D

It's a shame the Toyo's don't have the wear of the Michelin Pilot Primacy but when I had mine they tramlined badly!

The Goodyear Eagle F1 look good though.

be aware with the goodyears your MPG will be very similar to the Toyos......

I like the Goodyears (F1 GSD).... For me they are a problem free sale and well respected in Tyrereveiws

My T1-R's on the Lexus 250 are wearing well....14K and loads of tread left, but then again it's on a proper RWD car :D Have the Toyo Proxes 4 on the IS200, and again very pleased with grip in the wet as well as dry...but bit early to tell on wear rate.

I like the Goodyears (F1 GSD).... For me they are a problem free sale and well respected in Tyrereveiws

Don't doubt the goodyears at all....just was saying in terms of roll resistance it could be a bit high.

Don't doubt the goodyears at all....just was saying in terms of roll resistance it could be a bit high.

Maybe this is because they are EL (extra load) with a reinforced sidewall.

I suppose at the end of the day you get what you pay for...If you want the grip then you have to compensate on the tyre life and MPG ;)

I'm tempted to try the Goodyears, depending how much they are!

I guess it will just be trial and error to see which tyre gives the best MPG on my car but that's going to prove an expensive test! ;)